Can I Get a Tummy Tuck if Prone to Blood Clots?

10 years ago when I was 17 I developed a blood clot in my right lung. The doctors devolved it with the use of blood thinners. I have not had any issues since. I have a family history of clots as well. I wanted to get a breast lift and a tummy tuck after having a baby. But worried that I would be high risk and will not be able to do it. Will I be eligible for these surgeries with my history of clotting.

Blood clots and Tummy Tuck

+1

While you will be higher risk than other patients, you may still be eligible to have surgery. You will need to discuss your history with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions on what will be necessary precautions prior to surgery including the probable need for a surgical clearance from a hematologist. You may also want to to do a tummy tuck and breast lift in stages in order to not further increase your risks. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Blood clots

+1

If you have previously had a pulmonary embolism, you are at greater risk of having one  with any surgical procedure.  There are ways, however, to reduce your risk.  Most surgeons will use sequential compression stockings during the surgery as well,as early ambulatory.  the tummy tuck procedure is the one that places you at greater risk.  Also ,blood clots are directly related to the length of time of your procedure.  It is worth considering  not combining the procedures to reduce the risk.  I agree with the other surgeons on the hematology consult prior to your surgery.

Yes, you can still get a tummy tuck.

+1

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you can still get a tummy tuck but you will likely be higher risk than the average person and special precautions will need to be taken.  A referral to a specialist (hematologist) can be done by your regular doctor to make sure that you don't have an underlying medical condition the causes you to clot.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon and follow all recommendations.  I hope this helps.

Risk of blood clots should be discussed

+1

A consultation with a haematologist should be obtained.  You will most likely be put on a blood thinner prior to your surgery.  Risks to consider are: there is still a risk of a blood clot even if precautions are taken, and you may have an increased risk of bleeding during and after surgery.  If after your discussion with your hematologist and your plastic surgeons you feel that these risks are acceptable than you can make the decision to proceed.

(remember there is always a risk of a clot or bleeding and the question is what is your particular risk if all precautions are taken)

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Tummy tuck with a history of blood clots

+1

Tummy tuck patients are having a significant surgery.  If they have a history of blood clot/clots (pulmonary embolism is what you had, it sounds like) AND a family history of blood clots they should DEFINITELY sit down with their hematologist to discuss risks and perioperative management. The plastic surgeon needs to be in the middle of the whole discussion.  Best of luck to you.

Tummy Tuck with a History of Blood Clots?

+1

Based on your past history of having a blood clot in your lung (pulmonary embolus), as well as a family history of clotting, it is very likely that you have some inherited clotting disorder. This would definitely place you in a high risk category for having another blood clot with surgery, particularly a tummy tuck, or with a combined (thus longer) surgical procedure.

Does this mean you can't have a tummy tuck? Not necessarily, but it should only be done in consultation with a hematologist/oncologist. You should have further assessment of your clotting disorder. Most likely you will need to be on anticoagulation medication for a period of time after your surgery. This will increase your risk of having a bleeding complication following your surgery. There are no easy answers here and you will have some increased risks either way.

Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and tummy tuck with history of blood clots

+1

I would definitely have you seen by a hematologist, given your history and your family history of blood clots. Specifically, they should be looking for a Liden Factor V deficiency. Addition, you should make sure that you are not smoking or on oral contraceptives , as those will increase your chance of developing blood clots. Bottom line.. Get a hematology consult and clearance and even consider splitting up thesurgery  into two segments. Thanks for your question

Surgery with history of blood clots

+1

Certainly there is an increase in risk for blood clots in general when performing tummy tucks and with prolonged procedures under general anesthesia. Your history would make surgeons more cautious but not necessarily disqualify you from the surgeries. You will need to coordinate an evaluation and recommendation from your internist and/or hematologist to prepare you for the surgery. On the other hand, anti-coagulation for prevention of blood clots might increase your risk of bleeding in certain surgeries. 

Careful consultation between specialist is imperative.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Blood clots and tummy tuck

+1
The correct physician to whom these inquiries should be directed is a board certified hematologist/oncologist. I would not operate on a patient without a complete medical history and hematology clearance. If you are not on blood thinning medication, it would be important to understand the etiology of the clot and your family history in detail far greater than what you have presented in your question It is impossible to speak specifically about risks without this information and generaliation is not of value to your individual situation.

Tummy Tuck if Prone to Blood Clots

+1

Best to be operated upon in an in hospital setting with your hem/onc available if there are any issues.