I Have Been Put on Hormone Replacement by my Endo Doc Do I Have to Stop Before TT?

Hormone Therapy and Blood Clots

+1

Stuies have shown that use of birth control pills or hormone replacement can increase the risk of developing a blood clot in the legs.  There are no studies with tummy tucks that demonstrate a decrese of risk when the hormones are discontinued ahead of time. Not all plastic surgeons would instruct their patients to discontinue.  Since there is no harm in coming off hormones, only inconvenience, why not be as safe as possible?

I Have Been Put on Hormone Replacement by my Endo Doc Do I Have to Stop Before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes, there will be best to stop hormonal therapy prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. Your endocrinologist will be a best resource when it comes to timing to stop the medications;  obviously, avoidance of thromboembolic events will be everyone's concerns/priorities. The use of compression stockings and early ambulation will be emphasized.

Best wishes for a uneventful/successful procedure and recovery period.

When to discontinue HRT prior to an abdominoplasty

+1

Blood clots, DVT and PE are the feared complication of an abdominoplasty.  The reported risk is quite low when compared with the general surgical, orthopedic and neurosurgical patient population.  Since an abdominoplasty is a totally elective procedure we want our patients to be in the best physical shape to minimize the risk of all complications.  It is well known the HRT increased the risk of blood clots, DVT and PE.  You should stop taking these medications for 2 weeks prior to surgery to reduce your risks.  

Hormone replacement and tummy tuck

+1

Most experienced surgeons do not worry about the conduct of their surgeries; they have done hundreds or thousands of the procedures and are confident of the outcomes.

However every single surgeon fears blood clots.

So do everything your surgeon recommends to minimize the risk of blood clots, including stopping hormone replacement.

Although it is inconvenient, maybe you will be the one who avoids a blood clot by this relatively easy step.

Brent Moelleken, MD

I Have Been Put on Hormone Replacement by my Endo Doc Do I Have to Stop Before

+1

Hello

I would suggest stopping your HRT as this is a pro-coagulant which will make you prone to blood clots in the legs and lungs.  As a tummy tuck can take about 2-2.5 hours, it is considered a high risk for deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.  Adding things like HRT to this wil only increase the chnaces of a clot.

Have a discussion with your endo and also with your plastic surgeona nd aske them if they have the same concerns.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon