Best Way to Reduce Swelling 2 Months After Rhinoplasty?

Hey...I recently had open rhinoplasty done about 2 months ago and pretty much most of the swelling had gone away...until about a week ago I was on spring break and I was drinking alcohol and smoking (both cigarretes and marijuana) and i noticed that the next couple days my nose looked bigger(swollen) in the tip and is this normal? What can i do to get the swelling down??

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+3

Some patients experience transient swelling after rhinoplasty with activities such as exercise, sun exposure, and alcohol consumption.

This swelling should go down gradually. Taping the area above the tip can sometimes help.

If the nose becomes more swollen, more tender, or becomes red -- signs of infection -- an evaluation by your surgeon is recommended.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Two Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

I'm confidant you did no permanent harm, but now you must be patient as the swelling resolves, Circulation in your nose is not normal, and therefore you had an unfavorable response to the alcohol and sun exposure. It would be smart to schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon.

Reduce swelling of nose

+2

There are no magic bullets for this.

Occasionally, steroids are injected but this would not generally be advised in your case.

You may want to seek the advice of your plastic surgeon to make sure that all is well and that this is not a sign of a deeper underlying problem.

In the short term, sleeping with your head elevated and using ice compresses may provide some relief.

Improving Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

The best way to improve swelling after rhinoplasty is taping, massaging the nose, sun avoidance, keeping it elevated as much as possible and then tenture of time. It will take up to a year to see the final result from the swelling after a primary rhinoplasty.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Post operative swelling is an expected occurrence after rhinoplasty and it takes months to completely subside. Extra caution is needed especially in the first 3 or 4 months to avoid situations where inadvertent trauma or stresses do not irritate or injure the healing skin and underlying cartilages and bone. This would include avoidance of sunburns, physical bumps, activities that decrease circulation, and taking safety measures to protect it from people and objects such as the steering wheel! You might see some increases and decreases from day to day the first few months. For most patients, the passage of time helps the most:  usually 12 months at least but sometimes as long as 2 years may pass before all of the soft tissue swelling has subsided. 

Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon