Does Smoking and Alcohol Increase Swelling Post Rhinoplasty?

I had open rhinoplasty surgery about 2 months ago and it looked good until I started partying. Does alcohol consumption or smoking increase inflammation and swelling in and around the tip of the nose?

+1
Yes, smoking and alcohol should be largely avoided, especially directly after a nose job as they can both contribute to nasal swelling. I typically advise my patients to abstain from either activity for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. Since your rhinoplasty surgery was approximately two months ago, I would say that it is okay to drink and smoke as long as it is kept to a minimum and is controlled.

Smoking leads to more swelling

+1

Nicotine causes a "choking off" or vasoconstriction of blood vessels in your skin. In your postoperative state, you are relying on the vasculature of your nasal skin to decrease swelling. In non smokers who have had rhinoplasty, nasal tip edema can persist for up to a year. Smoking will only delay your eventual healing and your final result.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and drinking not conducive to good healing

+1

Alcohol can increase the swelling in the nose by vasodilation of the blood vessels. Cigarette smoking is an irritant to the internal portion of the nose. Both smoking and drinking are not conducive to good healing in the postoperative phase. It is best to quit smoking and limit the alcohol consumption.

The short answer is yes.

+1

If done in moderation it is probably not significant. Alcohol is a vasodilator and you may notice more swelling the next few days and then it will subside.