Open Bite Correction With Lingual Braces? (photo)

Open bite makes my top lip protrude out more than id like. i know it takes braces PLUS corrective jaw surgery to fix open bite. An Ortho.said my bite may not be so severe as to require surgery. He said they can shave between all the teeth to create some extra space then braces can pull the teeth together to reduce the open bite and the fullness of my top lip "slightly". Can this be done with Lingual braces that go behind the teeth? id like to avoid metal braces on front of my teeth & surgery.

Lingual braces are great at closing open bites!

+3

Your case would be a nice one for lingual braces.  Especially with a system such as Incognito, the treatment is totally customized to address the open bite.  So a lot of the side effects of conventional braces trying to close open bites are not as big of a concern.  I would certainly give it a try.  I provided a link below to look for a certified provider.

Web reference: http://www.hiddenbraces.com

Atlanta Orthodontist

Open bite correction is predictable with lingual braces

+2

I'm glad to hear that you are planning on having orthodontics to correct your bite. Customized lingual braces such as Incognito are very predictable at closing an open bite given the fact that they are custom. This means that very precise tooth movement can be programmed and controlled. The other benefit is that they act as habit reminders (being on the inside of your teeth), to prevent the tongue from coming forward and holding or creating the open bite. It's key to have this treatment done by an orthodontist experienced in lingual braces. Good luck with your treatment.

Toronto Orthodontist

Tough to Change Profile Without Extracting Teeth or Doing Surgery

+1

Lingual braces are like regular braces except they are attached to the inside of the teeth. They are good at closing openbites, but they are not as good at closing spaces. They would do a reasonable job of closing the tiny spaces created by interproximal reduction, but you should not plan on your profile changing much by closing those small spaces. Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist

Invisalign to correct an open bite

+1

You may be able to avoid braces altogether by using Invisalign to correct your space and open bite:

• Invisalign upper and lower
  • Consider widening, broadening upper and lower dental arches
  • Consider shaving between the teeth as needed upper and lower
  • Effect on profile likely minimal

San Ramon Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.