My Orthodontist Says, Lingual Braces Are Only Good for Aligning the Teeth, Is This True?

My front teeth are tilted inward. And both of my cuspids are tilted outward. However, my orthodontist says that, lingual braces are only good for aligning the teeth, and claims my teeth are not tilted inward. And he said he will fix my cuspids with a retainer. Is he trying to fool me? I found out that he doesn't have much experience with lingual braces.

Your Teeth Can't Tell the Difference

+2

Teeth move when force is placed upon them. That force can arise from braces on the outside of the teeth, plastic aligners, thumbs, and yes... even braces on the inside. The choice of where the braces are placed is only determined by the experience of the orthodontist. There are thousands of orthodontists worldwide who are fixing all kinds of malocclusions including tilted canines. I would recommend talking to another orthodontist who has more experience with lingual braces. Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist

Lingual braces in the right hands are awesome!

+2

I have been using lingual braces for several years.  They are extremely effective at correcting practically any kind of bite.  Part of the reason why is that they are customized for each patient.  It's important to realize that the vast majority of orthodontists have little to no experience with linguals.  I consider it a very elite sub-specialty of orthodontics.  If you go to the Incognito website, you can learn more about them and find a qualified doctor in your area.

Good luck.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Incognito lingual braces for full orthodontic alignment

+2

Lingual braces can do a great job fully aligning the teeth in a broad range of patients. Our experience with lingual is mostly with Incognito, lingual braces and wires that are digitally designed to custom fit your teeth and treatment goals. The braces and wires are more closely adapted to the teeth than regular lingual braces, and thus more comfortable to the patient. We use Incognito in adults and older teens that are outside the range of Invisalign.

Rob van den Berg, DDS, MS
San Ramon Orthodontist