Will Lingual Braces Create a Wider Smile and Correct a Deep Bite? (photo)

Saw 4 orthodontists, 1 that says braces will correct my deep bite and 3 that say forget the cost and trouble of braces & go w/ veneers. I have a bridge on bottom that I want removed & replaced with an implant, a porcelain veneer on either side of my 2 front teeth that are 22 yrs. old, too wide but closing gaps between these teeth. I have a space on bottom that was created by a tooth moving that could be straightened or moved more to allow an implant if needed.

Lingual braces

+2

Yes! Lingual braces can definitely help you. it will be a long process so be prepared. I think you can remove the wide crowns on the upper lateral incisors and close the excess space and also close the excess space on the lower incisor area. I'm not a big fan of lower incisor implants. I think closing the space and moving the back teeth forward with some elastics would be the best choice!

San Diego Orthodontist

Lingual braces to correct the deep bite

+1

You should defiantly consider orthodontic treatment prior to doing any restorative work so that the teeth can be placed into a proper place and the bite can be corrected. Either outside braces or inside braces should be able to do the job. Doing that first will make the restorative treatment to follow much more stable.

Tanya Vaysman, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Braces on the Front vs. Braces on the Back - Your Teeth Won't Know the Difference

+1

Teeth move when force is placed upon them. They cannot tell where it comes from, the front of the teeth, the back, clear plastic aligners, or removable retainers. Any system that can place a force on the teeth can give you a wider smile or correct a deep bite.

Greg Jorgensen, DMD, MS
Albuquerque Orthodontist

Lingual braces can be quite helpful

+1

Lingual braces are quite effective at addressing your concerns.  In your photos it appears that you have some bonding on the side of your upper left central incisor to close a space between your two middle teeth.  I would approach your case by having a certified Incognito orthodontist work with a real good cosmetic dentist.  In the planning the case, the dentist needs to help you determine the ideal size for the lateral incisors.  Then prior to making the impressions for the lingual braces to be fabricated, have him/her reduce the veneers, just to that ideal size...and remove the bonding that appears to be on the side of the upper left central.  That will allow the lab to fabricate the appliances in order to achieve the result you are looking for...as well as close the extra spaces and reduce the overjet.

Warning: These thoughts are based only on your photos. A full exam and diagnostic records are important to properly plan your case. 

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist