Does Swelling After a Breast Reduction Fluctuate..somedays They Look Larger then Others? (photo)

I am almost 6 weeks post op...I knw swelling gradually decreases over a period of months, But somedays I feel like they look more swollen then other days..is this possible? (and I dont mean during menstration)...also my left breast is more swollen then the right. Not by alot but enough for me to notice. I knw this is normal but when can i expect them to even out?

Fluctuating Swelling after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  it seems like you have achieved a very nice result.

Yes, fluctuation of “swelling” and changing of the breast appearance is quite normal. Although your breasts may never be absolutely symmetrical, you can expect them to reach a “steady state” approximately 6 months to one year after the surgery has been performed.

Congratulations again on what appears to be a very nice result.

Swelling After Breast Reduction

+2

Yes, swelling can still be present and fluctuate on a daily basis six weeks after a breast reduction.  Even at six weeks, many patients experience days when they are more swollen than others.  However, you will find that the overall trend will show a decrease in the swelling.  Based on the photos you submitted, it looks like you have a nice result and are healing well.  Good luck!

Mark Schwartz, MD

Variable swelling after breast reduction

+2
The swelling can fluctuate, depending upon your salt intake and degree of water retention. It is also common for one side to be more swollen than the other, but it is a good result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction and swelling

+2

The swelling in your breasts will improve with time.  It will fluctuate with activity over the next several months.

Breast reduction

+2

Your photos appear to show some minimal asymmetry, but what appears to be an excellent result. it will take 3-4 months before you can really compare them and judge. 

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast reduction can take 3-6 months to resolve

+1

You should certainly raise these questions with your surgeon, but 6 weeks is not a long time.  It takes probably 3 – 6 months for the swelling to fully resolve after a breast reduction, so don’t feel that you have your final result right now.  Swelling fluctuates depending on many factors:  salt intake, menstrual cycle, time spent lying down versus upright, and maybe even the type of bra you wear. Take comfort and check in with your surgeon.  Best regards.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Swelling may take several months to resolve

+1

From your photos, it appears that you have a nice result from your breast reduction. Resolution of post-operative swelling is unpredictable,and may take several months. Be patient and wait before entertaining any further intervention.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS