Breast Reduction and Lower Body Exercise?

I just had a breast reduction on Monday Feb. 18, 2013. Up until my surgery I was doing cardio and strength training exercises around 4x per week. I would like to remain active during my recovery without compromising my healing. Are there some lower body exercises that are safe to do and how long after surgery? How much time can be spent doing lower body exercises eg. 20 mins per day 3x per week?

Breast reduction and exercise

+1

I think that it is most important to ask your surgeon what you can and cannot do after surgery.  I have my patients refrain from exertion for at least 4 weeks to minimize the risk of hematoma.

Exercising after a breast reduction

+1

You should be discussing this with your surgeon.  You picked him/her to do this procedure for you and you need to follow his/her instructions.  Everyone has different criteria and no one can say what is right for you.  Talk to your surgeon and follow your surgeon's advice.

Exercise after surgery

+1

As you can tell, there is a lot of variation from surgeon to surgeon as to what they recommend for their patients. I usually prefer my patients to wait for 2-3 weeks before starting exercise but that depends on how extensive their surgery was. You should ask your surgeon what he or she recommends as they are in the best position to know. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Post op Exercise

+1

The main concern here is post op bleeding.  Activities that cause straining and elevated blood pressure can result in a hematoma for the first two weeks even if lower body exercises are performed.  Surgeon preferences vary widely so I would ask your surgeon for specific recommendations.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

I usually encourage my patients to wait 3-4 weeks prior to starting a stationary bike, and no weight lifting for 6 weeks. You need to talk to your surgeon about specific exercise and what he prefers.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure;  this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities after surgery. After all, he/she knows exactly how you are doing and whether or not you experience any complications.

Generally speaking, I encourage my patients to start with  lower body exercise (for example stationary bike)  1 to 2 weeks after the procedure- again, best to check with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Breast Reduction and Exercise

+1

It is important to clear your activities with your surgeon, your surgeon knows you best. For my patients, I want them to avoid strenuous exercise for 3 to 4 weeks or swelling may recur.

Web reference: http://www.breastreductionsanfrancisco.com/breast-reduction.asp

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.