I Had my Breast Reduction and There's Not Much Different from Before?

Last week I've got my breast reduction operation. I was 36E and now I'm 36D. I said to the doctor before the operation that I wanted to be a B size, C would be the maximun, but he said he couldn't control that and that my body wouldn't look so nice with a size B, but he would try it. After surgery, I had 98 cm around my chest, today I've tried an old bra, and it fits! So I noticed I was 100cm, can breast grow back again? I hate my big breasts , I don't know what to do

Breast Reduction Swelling

+2

I realize it's a little frustrating not to see immediate results after surgery, especially breast reduction.  If liposuction was utilized in additional to excisional techniques, the swelling may be compounded.  Since there are no standards for cup sizes, I always ask patients if they like they way they look as opposed to fitting into a particular bra.  But that question has to be answered in 3 to 4 months once the swelling has completely resolved. Keep the faith, things will change.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and final size.

+2

First, you are only one week out from surgery and the breasts are swollen. They will probably get smaller with time as the swelling dissipates. Second, certain limitations of final size are determined by the size you start with.

Concerns One Week after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

It is much too early to evaluate the results of the breast reduction procedure, one week after it was performed. As you know, there are variables including postoperative swelling that influence the appearance of the breasts at this point. 

I would suggest that you exercise patience and allow for your breasts to go through the healing process.  You can expect the breasts to change size/shape over the course of the next few months. Evaluate the end results of the procedure performed 6 months to one year after it was performed.

I would also suggest that you evaluate the outcome of the procedure based on overall breast size/shape as well as proportionality to the remainder of your torso;  do not base your evaluation and/or satisfaction with the outcome of the procedure on achieving a specific cup size (which, as you know, can vary from one bra manufacturer to another).

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Unhappy with results

+2

You did not mention how much tissue your doctor removed.  I would assume that he removed a fairly large amount if your insurance company paid for the surgery.  That should certainly make a difference.  As for the cup size, even bra manufacturers do not have standard cup sizes so doctors cannot guarantee a post-operative cup size.  You are early in your recovery and I tell my patients not to look for their final results for at least three months post-operatively.  There is still a lot of tissue swelling and settling that needs to occur.  If you are still unsatisfied after that time then you should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Was your breast reduction complete enough?

+2

The answer to this question is best fielded by your PS.  Please consult with him/her.  At a week post-op, the increased chest diameter is undoubtedly due to post-op swelling.  The body's response to trauma, including plastic surgery is to swell.  Remember that the band width or number, in your case 36, isn't affected by breast reduction because its related to the bony chest wall or rib cage.  Successful breast reduction involves communication between MD and patient.  For insurance predetermination, a certain weight must be removed/side; this typically ranges from 350-700gm/side, depending on a patient's height and weight. It sounds like you would have opted for the upper range, however your PS may have elected to remove less, so that ultimately your breasts will balance your trunk and also because many large busted women experience adjustment disorders, after reduction.  Be patient. Share your concerns and assess whether your shoulder and neck strain improves.  The conventional wisdom is that it takes a minimum of 90 days for your results to develop. Good luck. :)

Lavinia Chong, MD