My Breast Size is 36L. Can I Get to a C or Small D Cup? (photo)

I want to have a breast reduction. I want a drastic change and would like to go down to a full C or small D. Is that a realistic size? Also because of the size of my breasts should I think about a breast lift too.

Breast Reduction Surgery Goals

+1

Your goal of a C or D cup may be possible but the ultimate goal should be a breast size that fits your frame and relief of any neck and back pain.  The final breast can be "whatever" it proportion and relieve of symptoms that are important outcomes with breast reduction surgery with a case like yours.

Dr. ES

Breast reduction and bra cup size

+1

Breast reduction patients are some of our happiest patients.  Not only are they pleased with the appearance (lifted and smaller breasts) but they are also able to participate in more physical activities without being encumbered by the size of their chests.  From your photo, you look like an excellent candidate for breast reduction.  A breast reduction will provide a lift while reducing the volume of your breasts.  In terms of size, it is difficult to guarantee a cup size.  As you know, bra size can vary depending on the manufacturer.  While a significant size reduction is possible, and desirable, you also want to maintain a proportionate look. In addition, if the superior aspects of your breasts are depleted or flat, too large a reduction may leaving you look flat and boxy.  It is important to balance the volume reduced with a womanly shape.  A board-certified and experienced plastic surgeon can walk you through all of these considerations.

Elizabeth Kim, MD

+1

Forget about cup size!  You must be suffering so dreadfully that a good proportionate reduction mammaplasty (breast reduction includes lift as part of the procedure) will offer significant and welcome relief with improved comfort and normalization of your lifestyle.  You'll probably still be D or DD, but find a good plastic surgeon and you'll have both pain relief and nice breast shape, proportionate to your body.  May need to lose weight for cup size to drop further.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction on extremely large breasts may not get you to a "C" cup.  a lift will be done at the same time.

Breast reduction usually includes a lift

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is possible to dramatically reduce breast size even in very large breasts, and a lift is part of the procedure.

In your case most likely a free nipple graft procedure would be used, which would give complete control over breast shape and size.

Best wishes for a successful outcome!

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

You will get a breast lift when you have a reduction. As far as size is concerned, you should be able to get to any size you want, but that should be discussed when you see a Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction size

+1

Thanks for your question.  After reviewing your photo you have very large breasts much bigger than the usual reduction.  If you are planning to maintain sensitivity then the nipple areolar complex needs to be attached to an underlying breast tissue.  The breast tissue has to be large enough to provide adequate blood supply to keep the areolar alive.  If you reduce these large breast too much then there is a chance the amount of tissue after reduction may not be sufficient to keep the areolar well perfused with blood.  If the goal is to be a C cup or small D then you may need a free nipple/areolar graft and then the nipples will be insensate.  You have to chose which method is best.  Many women who are very large and saggy do not have much sensation in their nipples simply because the nerve to the nipple has been stretched for so long.  However after the breast reduction many experience significant improvement of nipple sensation due to the relief of the nerve stretch when the nipples are place back where they should be. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction to Very Small Size Possible?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You certainly will do well with breast reduction surgery;  just for clarification, you should be aware that your breasts will be “lifted” during the breast reduction procedure. In other words, the breast lift procedure will "happen” during the breast reduction procedure.

Yes, it is possible to reduce breast size very significantly.With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Many patients decide to reduce the breasts enough to help alleviate symptoms caused by the larger breasts while maintaining enough breast tissue to remain proportionate to the remainder of their torso.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully your only regret will be not having had the procedure performed earlier in life.