When Can I Really Start the Gym After Lipo?

I'm 4 weeks post op I went back to work I'm feeling ok I am a bit swollen but I feel ready to resume my normal activity..my Lipo was perform in the Dominican Republic ,I'm shocked that my plastic surgeon told me is after 4 months that I can start to work out!!! Why is this? I have read a lot of surgeons say slowly star after 2/3 weeks

Active exercisers can resume light training within 24 hours after liposuction under local anesthesia.

+1

Active exercisers can resume light training within 24 hours after liposuction under local anesthesia. After 30 years of performing liposuction, I have found that exercise which causes jiggling of tissue (running, horseback riding, etc.) can be uncomfortable for a week or so. My typical patient is walking moderately the day after surgery.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise After Liposuction

+1

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I usually instruct my patients to begin light exercise at 2 weeks. They should "listen to their body" and if they experience any pain, then they should stop for a few days and try again. I also agree with my colleague who suggested you should only have surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck. Dr. Gervais.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Gym after liposuction surgery

+1

It depends on the patients recovery, the areas that have been treated and the extent of the surgery. In general I let my patient return to light exercise at 2 weeks and advance as they feel better at 3 weeks. a good general rule you should stop when ever you feel pain, it is away for your body to tell you you are overdoing it.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Return to exercise after liposuction

+1

Hi Sexxibooty

The answer to your question really depends on how much liposuction was done across how wide an area. If you were just getting a few small pockets sorted out (love handles or saddle bags etc), 2-3 weeks is quite reasonable.

However if you've had large volume liposuction (>5L) across an area that moves a lot (abdomen, thighs), the it would pay to back off on your exercise in those areas for about 6 weeks. Your major risk is that the muscle movement underneath the honeycombed liposuction area will prevent the remaining fat from compressing down and sticking to the muscle layers, which could result in late fluid collections (seromas). It is important to wear your compression garments at all times except showering for the first 6-8 weeks.

Good luck in your recovery.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Back to the Gym after Liposuction

+1

For my patients, I advise them that it is OK to go back to the gym 2 weeks after liposuction and start slowly.  

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thats way too long

+1

I usually allow my patients to begin exercise 2-3 days after liposuction as long as they are in their compression garments. I always recommend going to a board certified, plastic surgeon close to your home so you can discuss your questions directly with them.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon