What Treatment Do You Recommend for Yellow Cholesterol Deposits in Under Eye Area?

doctor feels fairly confident that there will be minimal scarring and the shape of my eye will not change. My fear is, if the shape of my eye is changed,can it be corrected?I am nervous about the procedure and skeptical that valium and local anesthesia wld b enough to calm my nerves and have been offered propofol (drug that killed micheal jackson)Is it ok to use this drug for such a short and minor procedure? I had propofol before with no problems for a colonoscopy.

Cholesterol Deposit Treatment

The treatment of Xanthelasma (cholesterol deposits) is fairly easy and painless. A quick injection of Lidocaine to numb the area usually only hurts for 20 seconds. Valium may be given if you feel very anxious. There is usually only minimal bruising and scarring afterwards. The shape of the eyelid should remain the same. Please see your primary care physician to check your cholesterol level. Good luck.

Xanthelasma treatment

These cholesterol deposits around your eye are called xanthelasma. There are many options to treat them including local distraction indirect excision. Local construction can occur with many different modalities, including several lasers.

There are other problems that can look like this, so first off make sure you have the proper diagnosis.

Overall, treatment should not be uncomfortable and your concern over local anesthesia is not one that should limit you having the procedure if you desire to have these removed.

Make sure you see a doctor who is concerned with more than just your cosmetics as well, as these may indicate elevated cholesterol levels that may need addressing for your cardiovascular health.

To guarantee you're receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS, FASDS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Xanthomas Under Eyes

Dear zany28,

The cholesterol deposits you are referring to are benign growths known as xanthomas. They can be excised in the office with local anesthetic. Hope this helps!

David Cangello, MD

Xanthoma treatment

These cholesterol deposits can be excised or cauterized in the office using topical and local anesthesia. The treatment should not change the shape of your eye.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids

The best treatment for yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids is direct excision. Usually this can be done without significantly changing the shape of the eyes, but sometimes it can't. Only your surgeon can determine that. Also these spots can sometimes come back after removal even if cholesterol level in the blood is well controlled. 

James Motlagh, MD
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Local excision of the Xanthelamas (cholesterol deposits) are a minor procedure.  Local injections plus Profofol seems enough of an anesthetic for this type of surgical procedure.  If a small amount of skin is removed during the xanthelasma removal, the shape of the lower eyelid should not be affected.

Xanthelasma

These cholesterol deposits are called xanthelasmas. Though we always recommend that you have your cholesterol checked, often your cholesterol will be normal. You should have it checked however as it is something that is treatable.

Whether you have a high cholesterol or not, if you are predisposed to getting xanthelasmas, they may recur, though not necessarily in the same location.

Treatment can be excision if the lesion is small enough, and not widespread, or laser resurfacing. If excision is done, you will end up trading the yellow spot for a very fine linear scar, which in most cases is a very good trade off. And it is unlikely going to change the shape of your eyes. Valium and local anesthesia is usually enough, though every patient's anxiety is different.

If it is a very large lesion or there are widespread lesions all around the eye, then laser resurfacing is a good option as well, as long as your skin type is not too dark. The laser resurfacing will fade the spots, though it might not be complete as some of these lesions are relatively deep. As I mentioned before, the spots may recur in a few years and repeat treatment may be necessary.

If you post a photo, we could recommend which option might be better for you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yellow cholesterol deposits under the eyes

These are called xanthomas and are removed with direct excision under local anesthesia .  Best to have your cholesterol checked, otherwise they can come back

Removing Cholesterol Deposits

The only way to remove these cholesterol deposits (known as xanthomas) is to have them excised. A dermatologist or plastic surgeon can inject a small amount of numbing medication around the area, and they can be quickly and easily removed. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD