What Treatment Do You Recommend for Yellow Cholesterol Deposits in Under Eye Area?

doctor feels fairly confident that there will be minimal scarring and the shape of my eye will not change. My fear is, if the shape of my eye is changed,can it be corrected?I am nervous about the procedure and skeptical that valium and local anesthesia wld b enough to calm my nerves and have been offered propofol (drug that killed micheal jackson)Is it ok to use this drug for such a short and minor procedure? I had propofol before with no problems for a colonoscopy.

Yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids

+1

The best treatment for yellow cholesterol spots around eyelids is direct excision. Usually this can be done without significantly changing the shape of the eyes, but sometimes it can't. Only your surgeon can determine that. Also these spots can sometimes come back after removal even if cholesterol level in the blood is well controlled. 

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

+1

Local excision of the Xanthelamas (cholesterol deposits) are a minor procedure.  Local injections plus Profofol seems enough of an anesthetic for this type of surgical procedure.  If a small amount of skin is removed during the xanthelasma removal, the shape of the lower eyelid should not be affected.

Xanthelasma

+1

These cholesterol deposits are called xanthelasmas. Though we always recommend that you have your cholesterol checked, often your cholesterol will be normal. You should have it checked however as it is something that is treatable.

Whether you have a high cholesterol or not, if you are predisposed to getting xanthelasmas, they may recur, though not necessarily in the same location.

Treatment can be excision if the lesion is small enough, and not widespread, or laser resurfacing. If excision is done, you will end up trading the yellow spot for a very fine linear scar, which in most cases is a very good trade off. And it is unlikely going to change the shape of your eyes. Valium and local anesthesia is usually enough, though every patient's anxiety is different.

If it is a very large lesion or there are widespread lesions all around the eye, then laser resurfacing is a good option as well, as long as your skin type is not too dark. The laser resurfacing will fade the spots, though it might not be complete as some of these lesions are relatively deep. As I mentioned before, the spots may recur in a few years and repeat treatment may be necessary.

If you post a photo, we could recommend which option might be better for you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yellow cholesterol deposits under the eyes

+1

These are called xanthomas and are removed with direct excision under local anesthesia .  Best to have your cholesterol checked, otherwise they can come back

Removing Cholesterol Deposits

+1

The only way to remove these cholesterol deposits (known as xanthomas) is to have them excised. A dermatologist or plastic surgeon can inject a small amount of numbing medication around the area, and they can be quickly and easily removed. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Xanthomas Under Eyes

+1

Dear zany28,

The cholesterol deposits you are referring to are benign growths known as xanthomas. They can be excised in the office with local anesthetic. Hope this helps!

David Cangello, MD

Removal of cholesterol deposits

+1

The only treatment that will effectively remove cholesterol deposits is surgical excision.  This is a simple procedure that can be done in the office with just a numbing injection.  The eyelid skin heals extremely well, so a well healed scar will be much less noticeable then the yellow deposits.  It is also important that your cholesterol is under control with your primary care physician to prevent new deposits from forming.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid deposits

+1

Dear zany28,

• These are xanthomas and can easily be removed with local anesthetic in the office
  • They are kind of like skin tags, just a touch more complicated
  • The results would be great

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Treatments for yellow cholesterol deposits under eye

+1

Those yellow deposits under the eyes can be annoying but cause no damage. They can be surgically removed, which is a very minor procedure, but I do not know of any other method to treat them.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon