What Can I Do About my Skin Fold on One Eye? (photo)

Hello I dont know why I have a skin fold on my left eye only, but it's very very obvious, especially in person. It makes my face look asymmetrical and it's making my tear troughs look hollow. When I turn to the side, I have a very obvious skin fold line on the side of my eye. When I look straight ahead, it just looks weird like the picture shows. Is there something I can do about this? Please, Im desperate. It's making my eye feel very heavy, too.

Upper eyelid asymmetry

Hi. There are a few differences between your upper eyelids.  1)  the extra "skin fold" that you see.  2) right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy upper eyelid) more than left.  3) more fat deflation (hollowness) of the right upper eyelid/brow area.  There are various nonsurgical and surgical options that you may benefit from depending on your goals.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.

Why Do I Have An Extra Skin Fold On My Left Upper Eyelid And How Can I Correct It?

The extra skin fold in your left upper eyelid (picture taken in mirror) is due to either genetic or traumatic injury to the muscle that elevates the upper eyelid (levator palpebrae superioris, LPS).  This situation is referred to as ptosis (droop) of your upper eyelid.  It can be corrected by shortening the tendon of the LPS.  This will eliminate the double fold in your left upper eyelid. 

I recommend you seek an evaluation by a Board Certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon experienced in eyelid ptosis surgery.  

Epicanthal folds

So looking at your photos closely, I can see two separate asymmetries between the two eyes.

1. Left epicanthal fold. I think this is what you are referring to in your question. There is a fine crease that extends from the inside corner of your left upper eyelid and curves around the medial canthus [inside corner of the eye] and continues to the lower eyelid crease. This anatomic variant is usually seen in the asian eyelid. It can be addressed surgically [epicanthoplasty] though it may leave a small scar that may take a few months to fade.

Honestly, it is very subtle, as you see all the other experts did not pick up on it. You are probably the only person that really sees it.

2. Mild right upper eyelid ptosis. The right eyelid is ever so slightly lower than the left eye. This is likely the cause of the double upper eyelid crease. If the right upper eyelid is raised slightly, it will likely change the way the upper eyelid skin drapes over the eyelid.

Both these issues can be addressed surgically.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid asymmetry

Based on the photos you appear to have drooping eyelid on one side and that's creating a difference in your eye opening and upper eyelid crease asymmetry. I was wondering if you have this condition all your life or just developed it recently. This can be improved surgically and I recommend that you seek out in person consultation with board certified plastic surgeon and learn about your options. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

What Can I Do About my Skin Fold on One Eye?

Best to seek ONLY in person evaluations. But the degree of "ptosis" seems very minor to the degree of risks for this surgical correction. 

As others have suggested, you have right upper eyelid ptosis which means that the right upper eyelid is lower than the left upper eyelid.  It can cause an asymmetric eyelid crease as well.  You should see an Oculoplastic surgeon if you want to consider correction of the ptosis.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

This can be corrected

Thank you for the question and photos.  The connection or length of the muscle in the lower eyelid is different then the other.  To correct this, believe it or not, both eye should be corrected since it will be easier to achieve symmetry.  If the lower eyelid is corrected only I suspect that the higher eyelid will naturally drop a little.  This surgery is called ptosis repair.  You should seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons that have experience in doing so.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetriceyelids

You do have right eyelid ptosis unless you took the pictures in the mirror! In order to correct that you will need a surgeon who does ptosis surgery often. See the before and after results.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Asymmetry

Based on the photos provided, an asymmetry is present. This may be a ptosis or droop of the right upper lid or less likely it could be that the left eye is larger and more prominent. It is best to consult with an oculoplastic surgeon for examination and to discuss possible corrective options as well as rule out any underlying medical conditions.

Pamela Henderson, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin fold on one upper eyelid

You mention the problem is with your left eye, but when I look at your pictures, it appears your right eye is the one with the problem.  I'm not sure if the picture is a mirror image or the actual image.  In any case, it appears that you may have some ptosis of the right upper eyelid.  Ptosis is when the eyelid droops further down than it should.  This can cause the eyelid to feel heavy and is most likely the cause of the double line on that eyelid .  I would consult with an oculoplastic surgeon to be evaluated, and if you do have ptosis, it can be surgically repaired.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon