What Are Notched Nostrils?

I was told that during revision rhinoplasty my nostrils were set as notched nostrils. I know my nostrils look crooked. What are notched nostrils and can these be repaired?

Notched nostrils may be improved with a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty.

+1

If your nostrils are "notched" after rhinoplasty Surgery, this usually means that there is an upward retraction of your nostril margin. I have had wonderful success improving alar retraction using Silikon-1000 as an Injectable Filler.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Notched Nostrils

+1

"Notched'  usually refers to elevation of the edge of the nostril rim. If this is the problem, it can be improved or corrected with the placement of  grafts of cartilage or cartilage and skin  above this notching to lower the rim. If this is not the complication, please submit a more detailed description.

Crooked nostrils can be repaired.

+1

It is the crookedness that can be repaired. This is often difficult to do depending on how much has been removed and how different the nostrils are. 

Notched nostrils are when the rim has a little "V" in it

+1

Notched nostrils occur when the tip cartilages and incisions heal by pulling up the edge of the rim of the nostril. This may appear like a snarl. There are a  number of treatments. For simple notching, rim grafts help. For larger notches and true rim retraction (really pulled up), a graft of skin and cartilage from the ear called a composite graft is sometimes necessary.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Notched Nostrils

+1

Without a photograph it is impossible to clinically correlate what "crooked nostrils" mean. The tern can refer to asymmetry in size, in flaring, in the degree of rotation etc. Classically, a NOTCH refers to an indentation in the usually smooth curve of the edge of the nostril. This is seen in cases where either trauma or nose surgery resulted in an intra nasal scar that ran very close to the rim of the nostril. As the wound healed, the scar shortened and pulled a short segment of the rim in resulting in a visible notch in an otherwise smooth rim.