Can Nose Surgery Fix a Short Upper Lip? (photo)

I want to have nose surgery to get rid of the dorsal hump that I have. I also feel that my upper lip is too short, I breath through my mouth and it is always open. When I smile my upper lip lifts too much and my gums show. Can tip surgery help to 'release' the upper lip so it sits a but lower? Also would i benefit from a chin implant for facial balance? Thank you

Nose surgery to address dorsal hump and short upper lip

+1

Reducing the overall projection of the nose will help with the upper lip show.  When patients are breathing through their mouth they most likely have a deviated nasal septum.  It is also important to evaluate the depressor septi ligament which can be released so that the tip does not droop down upon smiling.  This will also help slightly with the gum show and lengthening of the upper lip.  A small chin implant can be placed in the mental area to give a bit more projection to the chin area. This would give the effect of facial balance and would also help give the illusion that the tip of the nose is not as projected.

Can nose surgery fix a short upper lip

+1

Yes, it is necessary to treat some muscle that make the lip short, we can cut the small part of this muscle and the tip of your nose rise up and the lips will be little wide.  

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Can nose surgery fix short upper lip

+1

A rhinoplasty could very well deproject your tip and lengthen your upper lip along with refining your nose. A chin implant would also help to balance your profile. If there are airway issues they can be addressed at the same time. Look for a surgeon comfortable with all three types of procedures. A consult with computer imaging would help you visualize the possible outcome. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and the Short Upper Lip

+1

Dear orla1986,

You are appear to be a good condidate for a volume reduction rhinpplasty that would also bring the nose back closer to the face. This deprojection of the nose willrelieve any tension on the upper lip and give the impression of more length to the upper lip. Physical examination of the nasal passages will determine if you have a septal deviation that requires correction as well. Consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and computer imaging will help you visualize how the upper lip will look when the nose is brought back. Good luck

Dr. Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Short upper lip and chin deficency

+1

A rhinoplasty can give the appearance of  lenghtening the upper lip if performed properly.  Your chin can either be treated by an implant or advancement genioplasty.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty and the Short Upper Lip

+1

You appear to be an excellent candidate for a reduction Rhinoplasty. As part of this procedure the nose would be shortened some and this can give apparent length to the upper lip. Based upon the photos you provided, a chin augmentation would most definitely improve your facial balance and create a more aesthetic profile.  Your breathing difficulty may be due to a septal deviation or other internal nasal problem and may be improved with surgery. As concerns your concerns about your smile there are simple and complex surgeries designed to correct or improve the condition. Simple operations on the inside of the lip can frequently improve the smile. More significant differences between the vertical height of the upper jaw and the lip may require jaw surgery to improve. When you meet your surgeon during consultation all fo these questions/concerns should be answered to your satisfaction. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Elevating the tip would make the lip look longer

+1

First of all, I think overall that a rhinoplasty would provide you with a nice improvement to your overall features.  I do think if the hump on your bridge could be smoothed, the tip of the nose was elevated, and the tip was narrowed a bit, your nose would look more feminine and refined.  

From an aesthetic standpoint, I do not believe your lip looks "too short", at least in the photos.  I can understand if you are having troubles with gum show with smiling, but rhinoplasty would not "release" the upper lip, even if the tip is elevated.

However, elevating the tip would reveal more lip.  This creates an illusion of additional length to the lip.  

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery, lip augmentation

+1

Dear orla1986,

• Undergoing rhinoplasty surgery with chin augmentation would be appropriate for you if you wanted to achieve more facial balance
  • The upper lip could not necessarily be released, you could try a little augmentation with a filler to let your lips show more when you smile
  • As for the mouth breathing, you probably have some blockages inside the nose that keeps you from breathing through your nose, once these are opened, you shouldn't need to breathe through your mouth any longer

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD