Nose Getting Bigger - Will Rhinoplasty Help?

i swear that my nose is getting bigger! 5 years ago i did a little modeling, even though i have a dorsal hump, it was not horrible. Now i feel like it is taking over my face. my nose is wide and the hump it getting so big that it's actually blocking my view with one eye if i try to glace to the side. I want to cry when i see photos of myself now. I have seen a doctor because of a deviated septum. they refuse to do any work unless i pay for the cosmetic side first.

Why is my nose getting bigger and will a rhinoplasty help?

Noses don't grow after puberty.

+4

Your nose is not growing.  You may think it is because you are very attractive and see it as a minor blemish on an otherwise gorgeous face.  Like most patients, you are your own worst critic.  Your nose can be changed if you don't like it, but I assure you that it is not growing. 

Changes in the nose with aging

+3

As you age, the fibrous attachments between the cartilages of the nose can weaken, resulting in drooping of the tip and accentuation of the "hooked" appearance of the nose. In addition, this can lead to narrowing of the external valve of the nose, causing difficulty breathing. The skin envelope of the nose can thicken with time as well. It seems as though you would be a candidate for rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of your nose. If you additionally have a deviated septum and difficulty breathing through your nose, it's possible that insurance coverage may offset a portion, but not all, of the cost of the procedure. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does the nose enlarge with age?

+2

The nose stops growing by 14-16 in most cases.  The appearance of the nose may seem larger, or a hump may appear stronger with time, because of the following factors:

1) the tip looses support and droops more, therefore accentuating the hump. 

2) the volume of the cheeks diminish as we loose facial fat, leading to a more prominent appearing nose. 

Often times, this can be treated with relatively simple procedures to reestablish tip support and restore the lost cheek volume. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would suggest that you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

As we age we lose volume in our skin and tissues under the skin.  Our bones become thinner and our skin loses elasticity.  Those factors contribute the most to the changes we see in our face and the nose.  In my opinion; you have always had strong and prominent nasal cartilages, but as you have aged the overlying skin has thinned and framework has become more apparent.  Also loss of volume in the face makes the nose look bigger.

I highly recommend that you see a highly experience Rhinoplasty surgeon.  There is need for meticulous reshaping and repositioning of your cartilage and bone.   You have fine facial features and your nose needs to match that and also be functional.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose is Getting Larger-- Growing nose, Rhinoplasty Can Help

+2

Even though the nasal bones can not grow at your age, there are changes in the face that makes it appear as if the nose is getting larger as we age.

Rhinoplasty can reduce the hump, reduce the width of the nose and improve the aesthetics of the framework of the nose.

In summary rhinoplasty can make  a "Growing Nose" more proportional, attractive  and appealing by reducing specific portions of the nose.

Make sure that your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive training in all aspects of nose surgery and rhinoplasty and with passion to get the best result for you.

Hope this helped.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Growing nose

+2

The nasal structures could increase in size as we age, creating a larger nose.  In your particular case you are not quite in that age group.  Possible some unrecognized nasal injury has caused your septum to become distorted and possible slightly enlarge.  Make sure you see a well regarded and experienced nasal surgeon to properly assess y our nasal anatomy and your needs.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Changes in nasal shape with time. Yes, rhinoplasty can usually help.

+2

The short answer is that rhinoplasty can help reduce the size of the nose.

Several factors can cause the shape changes you mention: loss of tip support due to natural age-related changes, thinning of the skin can emphasize undesirable contours at the edges of cartilage as your picture shows, and continued growth and deviation of the septum can distort the external appearance to some degree.

Obviously, it's best to combine septoplasty with rhinoplasty if both are indicated. However, the rhinoplasty would be cosmetic, of course, and it's customary for patients to pay in full for the cosmetic portion prior to surgery.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can help your nasal appearance

+2

It is very unlikely you have any rare disease which is causing your nose to grow. The more common reason is as one ages, the nose may get ptotic (rotate down). This may accentuate your dorsal hump and overall give one the appearance of a larger nose. A rhinoplasty can definitely improve your nasal appearance and return you to a more balanced look that fits your face.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Changes & Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose typically stops growing between 14 and 16 years of age in most patients. Although the nose doesn’t continue to grow, it does continue to change. Gravity can have a significant impact on the nose and over the course of time, it can cause the nasal tip soft tissue to sag. This can change the nasal appearance and dramatically impact facial aesthetics.

Although, the nasal problems that you describe are not related to growth, they can still be addressed with rhinoplasty surgery. For this reason, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with rhinoplasty experience is appropriate.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can help shape your nose

+1

Noses tend to change shape over really long periods of time (many many years). A rhinoplasty surgeon can help determine what can be done to achieve your goals. Some surgeons even do digital morphing to help you see what you may be able to look like after surgery. This is an estimation of your result, but not an exact prediction, as the nose tends to heal in its own individual way. 

Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD