Nose Still Over-projected After Rhinoplasty

Hello, I am only 2 weeks post-Op. Do you think my nose is still over-projected? i feel it is but i could be crazy. Also will the projection go down at all as the swelling does? Thanks.

Overprojecting tip after rhinoplasty

+2

Many times after rhinoplasty the nasal tip will before overprojected due to placement of columellar struts or tips grafts. The tip often feels rigid. It softens over time and deprojects so I would surely wait at least 9 months before making any judgments.

Remaining over-projection post rhinoplasty

+2

At two weeks after your rhinoplasty, there is still a great deal of swelling. Deciding whether or not your nose remains too over projected should be done after it has fully healed, which can take twelve months. Once fully healed, the nose will no longer undergo subtle changes, allowing you and your surgeon the ability to determine if revision surgery would be appropriate. For now, try to be patient.

Too early to judge nose projection

+2

You are only 2 weeks out from surgery.  It is way to early to determine if your nose is over projected.  The final results are not definite until a year after surgery. Just focus on recovering now and allow time to take care of things.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Overprojection is normal at this time.

+2

It depends on how the nose was done as to how much projection is due to swelling. It usually will go down. Wait at least 6 months before doing anything.

Nasal tip angle and projection go down during healing

+2

There are a number of maneuvers we perform to reduce tip projection and change the angle of the tip of the nose. For projection, some of these surgical maneuvers occur as the nose heals over the year following surgery. Two weeks after surgery, the tip may appear over-projected. Another reason for this is the splint is worn on the upper 2/3 of the nose, the tip isn't taped or splinted. This pushes swelling into the tip that can make it appear a lot more bulbous and stick out further than it will when it is fully healed.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nose projection after rhinoplasty

+2

It is impossible to tell at this point because you still have a dressing on the bridge and the nose is swollen.  Discuss this with your doc but just be patient.  It can take a long time for the swelling to resolve.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Projection after rhinoplasty

+2

It's so hard to tell from the photos you sent, as they really need to be close-ups from the exact same angle to accurately gauge results.  In addition, you are so swollen that it would be unfair to make any judgments on your results this soon.  I suggest waiting a few more months, and then speaking with your surgeon about your concerns regarding your projection.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Post Operative Nose Over-Projection

+2

Your Before and After photographs are NOT taken at the same angle. Even so , it appears you do have a projecting tip.  In my opinion nose projection is not much affected by post-operative swelling but I would wait a few months to see how the situation looks.

Please, be aware that extreme retrusion of the tip will result in flaring of the nostrils and may require further lowering of the top of the nose (dorsum) which may not be compatible with normal breathing without mild widening of the nose by placement of cartilage (spreader) grafts. In other words, your surgeon may have performed the compromise operation best suited for your clinical presentation.

Swelling from rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos, it is difficult to assess your current situation - they are taken from different angles and at too far a distance. That being said, at 2 weeks post-operatively, it is not the time to assess your postoperative outcome. Swelling can take a lot of time to resolve from either an open or closed rhinoplasty.

If you are not happy with the way things look after 3 months, you should discuss your thoughts with your plastic surgeon. It would not be appropriate to re-operate before that time, and any minor adjustments are to be made, they can often be performed rather easily after that time.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Over projected tip after rhinoplasty [with video]

+1

Boy, two weeks out is really hard to tell much!

All patients who have rhinoplasty will have swelling in the nose which takes a minimum of three months to start resolving. It really takes 6-12 months for the nose to settle in.

From your photos it is hard to tell what is going on, but your nasal tip does not appear to be over projected pre-operatively. I have never seen a non-projected nasal tip become projected after surgery.

Be patient and wait at least 6 months before making a final decision.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon