Is It Normal to Have One Nipple Up and One Nipple Down After a Breast Reduction? and How Long Does the Swelling Last?

I'm 4 weeks post op, and I have one nipple pointing up and one nipple pointing down. It's been this way since the day 5 . When I asked my plastic surgeon about it he says I swelled up differently in my breast. Also my breast have gotten bigger, since the surgery. I kno I'm suppose to swell up but my week 3 pic look different from the pic I took in week 4. I'm suppose to be a C cupbut I'm wearing a D cup bra that I brought on week 3, but now I'm busting out of my bra. I'm just really concerned

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Reduction?

+2

It is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination or viewing pictures.

At this stage in your recovery, some degree of breast asymmetry is very common (the rule as opposed to the exception). You will find that the breasts will likely change in size, shape, and symmetry for the next several months. I would suggest that you evaluate the  end results of the surgery  approximately 6 months after the procedure.

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to address questions/concerns and rule out complications.

Nipple Asymmetry and Swelling after Breast Reduction

+2

Your final result most likely will be good.  Pre and post operative photos would have helped me to give you a more accurate response.  These are some most common reasons for swelling after breast reduction:

1.  Large breast reductions will require longer time to settle.  Bra size is a very inaccurate way to measure breast size.  Make sure your breasts are supported with a comfortable bra without an underwire.  

2. Collection of blood and/or fluid in the soft tissue of the breast (hematoma, seroma) depending on it's size, the treatment can vary from breast support to aspiration or surgical drainage.  

Address all your concerns with your surgeon and do not take any premature decisions.  Your breasts may take 6 weeks or longer to settle.  Their shape and size will be different depending on the shaping technique used to perform the surgery.  

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Nipple direction after breast reduction

+2
A photograph would help. Sometimes patients swell differentially and this wll contribute to the appearance of the breasts. It is too soon to reach any conclusions as to the ultimate shape of the nipple areolar omplx. In terms of appearing larger now, do not focus on cup sizes, which vary by manufacturer. Your breasts will look different depending on the shape/style of the bra you have selected.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Uneven nipples following breast reduction

+1
It is not normal to have uneven nipples following breast reduction surgery, but it is certainly possible it is part of the healing process for you.  It also might be possible that you have pre-existing asymmetry that has been improved with the surgery but is not yet perfect. 

David Stoker, MD

Breast asymmetry after surgery

+1

When performing a breast reduction we typically use a cookie cutter type instrument to and place the nipple directly in the center for the circle.  Sometimes with swelling and differences in stretch due to the remaining breast tissue this can change the circular nature of the areola and may point the nipple in one direction or the other.  Early asymmetries are very common.  Give it some time and it may get better on its own.

My nipples are at different levels after breast reduction is it normal?

+1

It is too early to know if the swelling is the cause. But if the situation doesn't resolve your plastic surgeon could easily correct the nipple position and any size difference. At this time  follow up with your plastic surgeon and have him examin you and answer your questions.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Nipples at different levels

+1

Nipples at different heights may be related to swelling and it is too early  to tell for sure. A minor revision can be done when things are settled if they are off.