Is It Normal to Have a Funny Smell in Your Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I just had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and there is this funny almost putrid smell coming from my nose is that normal?

Smelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes one can have a funny smell after rhinoplasty, it may be due to a residual suture inside the nose and it usually subsides over a period of a week to 10 days.

Funny Smell in Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

You should only have a funny smell in your nose after rhinoplasty if you are smelling clowns...just a really bad attempt at some humor here on RealSelf.  You should see your rhinoplasty surgery to make sure that you do not have an infection, and have your nose cleaned.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

The bad smell in your nose after rhinoplasty surgery may be from a sinus infection.

+1

You should see your surgeon as soon as possible to evaluate the bad smell in your nose. If your surgeon used nasal packing after your surgery, have him ensure there isn't any packing remaining in your nose: this could cause a foul aroma and discharge and infection.

You may also have a post-operative sinus infection. If your surgeon isn't helpful, consult a board-certified ENT specialist.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Putrid smell in nose is NOT Normal

+1

Regarding: "Is It Normal to Have a Funny Smell in Your Nose After Rhinoplasty?
I just had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and there is this funny almost putrid smell coming from my nose is that normal
?"

It is NOT normal to have a putrid smell in the nose after surgery. Such odor is usually caused by bacterial action on non-living tissue or a retained foreign body. I would strongly urge you to have your nose examined by your surgeon. If you start having fever, chills, runny nose or any other symptoms you need to be seen in an ER as soon as possible as it MAY be the manifestation of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Dr. Aldea

Funny smell after nose job surgery (rhinoplasty)

+1

This is something that should be evaluated by your surgeon. The smell may retained packing or is commonly associated with turbinate resection or cauterization.