Will Nose Stay Straight After Rhinoplasty?

My nose has grown to be off center and crooked since i was probably 5. If I was to undergo rhinoplasty to make my nose on center and straight would it KEEP the shape? I read the nose will try to go back to it's original shape and it will look the same again. Is this true? What am I to expect? Will it also help my lip asymmetry? Thanks.

It appears you may need cartilage grafts to help straighten yor nose

+2

Judging from the photo, it appears that your nose has a curve, referred to as reversed-c.  Please make sure your are evaluated by a surgeon with experience.  Individuals with nasal bridge deformity may require rhinoplasty / cartilage grafting to insure that the nose stays straight.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Key to a Straight Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

The key element to having and keeping a straight nose after a Rhinoplasty is to make sure that your Surgeon has totally corrected any deviation of the NASAL SEPTUM.  This is vital to restoring and maintaining a straight nose after rhinoplasty .  The nose MUST be straight intraoperatively and stay that way or the deviation will recur.  The best way to do this is to make sure you straighten the septum by removing the memory  by cutting or scoring the septum and them maintaining it in the straight fashion with a spreader graft or splaying suture to the Upper lateral cartilages.   Your upper lip will not be corrected by a Rhinoplasty

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Realistic Expectations Important for Crooked Nose Rhinoplasty

+1

Correcting a crooked nose on front view is very challenging. Much of the curve is due to curvature of nasal cartilages which have a tendency to maintain their original shape and therefore return to their curved position. Often an open aproach to the nose can allow for the application of straight cartillage from your own septum and this can improve the chances of a good outcome. If you would be accepting of an improvement and aren’t expecting perfection then you should consider seeing a rhinoplasty specialist for an honest assessment.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straight nose after rhinoplasty

+1

With the rhinoplasty procedure, osteotomies are usually performed to straighten crooked nasal bones as well as straightening the upper lateral cartilages. On many occasions, spreader grafts are placed on the depressed side of the mid third of the nose to improve contour irregularities and improve breathing out of that side of the nose. If the surgery has been done appropriately, the nose should stay straight after the procedure has been performed. 

Straightening a Crooked Nose

+1

A crooked nose can be straightened with surgery, although the results may not be perfect. Fixing a crooked nose is one of the most challenging operations we do, so pick an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. It will not improve the lip asymmetry.

Correcting a crooked nose

+1

The goal of correcting a crooked nose after rhinoplasty surgery is to have the nose remain straight. After your surgery, you will have a hard cast on your nose in order for it to retain it's new shape. It is difficult to predict exactly how your nose will heal, as everyone is different. When your procedure is performed properly by a highly skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, it is likely your nose will hear properly and the chances that any revision work will be necessary are greatly reduced. Hope this helps. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Yes, your nose can have a long-lasting straight appearance.

+1

It's difficult to determine from your photo, but the success of a nose-straightening procedure depends on what part of the nose is deviated and what technique is used to straighten it.  Sometimes a nose appears crooked because there is a depression on one side, which can very effectively be corrected permanently with a cartilage graft.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty and making the nose straight

+1

Yes cartilage does have memory it is difficult to completely erase the memory and make a nose perfectly straight and to keep it straight over time.  Things will change, but when done properly, your nose can be greatly improved on and you can have a very nice result over time. 

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Hard to fix a crooked nose

+1

You will certainly see improvement in your nose, and probably you upper lip, if you underwent a septorhinoplasty. You will need your septum straightened, as well as the nasal bones broken to re-align them in the midline. I always tell my patients that straightening a crooked nose is not always 100%, sometimes the best we can get is an improvement, but not perfection. I think you would be happy with surgery, so long as you understand that improvement is the goal. I also suspect you have some nasal airway functional problems, and this will also be corrected with surgery.

About 5-10% of nasal surgeries will require some sort of surgical "tweaking" postoperatively. So, it is possible that as your nose heals you may find worsening of the curvature. Your surgeon may want to re-operate, or sometimes we can camouflage minor imperfections will dermal fillers. Best of luck to you.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon