Is the Nose More Swollen in the Morning During the Weeks Following Rhinoplasty?

I just got my nose done a little over 3 weeks ago (23 days) and I've noticed that it's always more swollen when I wake up in the morning than it was the night before. Is that normal?

Morning Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

This is very common. Congestion is worse in the morning because circulation is less when your lying down and sleeping compared to when you're up and active. It will be helpful to keep your head elevated on at least two pillows.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling is a normal reaction to surgery, and after rhinoplasty it may be more noticeable in the morning or after lying down for several hours. Sleeping slightly upright with your head elevated on several pillows may minimize the amount of swelling you observe.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Swelling Afer Rhinoplasty Improves With Time

+1

The good news is that you can relax-swelling after rhinoplasty is normal and improves with time. You are only 3 weeks post-op which is very early in the healing process. Your nose will look more swollen in the morning after lying down all night. It will look the best at the end of the day after you have been in an upright position all day. This is because in the upright position, the nose is well above the level of the heart which facilitates the normal tissue fluid drainage of the nose. Sleeping with your head elevated with help to reduce the swelling. I frequently recommend taping of the nose at night for 4 to 6 weeks following a rhinoplasty to minimize this swelling. I would recommend discussing your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon. Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Nose Elevation Reduces Swelling

+1

Most of us sleep on a level surface or slightly elevated. As a result, after hours in this position there may be more swelling in the freshly operated nose than after a few hours of elevation. This will gradually improve with time.

Dr. Aldea

Early morning swelling following rhinoplasty is common.

+1

Swelling of the nose in the early weeks after a rhinoplasty is often worse in the morning when the patient has been lying relatively flat in bed.  After being up for a few hours, the swelling can be expected to decrease since the nose is then much higher above the heart.  This effect will resolve a few months after the surgery.

Roger J. Oldham, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon