Can Noses Revert Back to Old Shape After Rhinoplasty?

I have had 2 rhinoplasties in 2 years. The second was a revision. After the first operation to remove hump and reduce width failed as scar tissue built up causing nose the be even wider than it was origionally and the bump to reform giving a beak like shape. It has been 4 months since revision and my nose bump seems to be trying to return as I have to keep rubbing it down to try and straighten it. Is this possible if so is it surgeons fault?

Noses Don't revert to Old Shape after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unusual that a nose will revert to pre-op shape after rhinoplasty. Although it is too soon for any additional surgery I'd get another opinion.

Noses don't revert to old shape.

+1

This does not normally occur. I would seek a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty specialist.

Nose revert back to original shape.

+1

IT is truly difficult to assess what is going on. Nothing truly builds up after surgery. You may need a CT scan to evaluate the structures and ensure that you do not have a cyst or some other cause of the bump.

Rhinoplasty revision, and recurrence of deformity.

+1

Certainly, some recurrence can occur, ane even new problems may develop.  I would recommend that you continue your massage per doctor, and be patient.  A beak deformity now may be another problem.  It might be time to seek a second opinion.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Please submit pictures

+1

I would like to review your pictures and obtain more information about the surgery . It is possible to revise the nose to some degree.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Operated noses do NOT revert back to their "older shape"

+1

Regarding: "Can Noses Revert Back to Old Shape After Rhinoplasty?
I have had 2 rhinoplasties in 2 years
. The second was a revision. After the first operation to remove hump and reduce width failed as scar tissue built up causing nose the be even wider than it was origionally and the bump to reform giving a beak like shape. It has been 4 months since revision and my nose bump seems to be trying to return as I have to keep rubbing it down to try and straighten it. Is this possible if so is it surgeons fault
?"

It is not my job to point an accusatory finger at a ? British surgeon(s) but an operated nose does NOT revert back to its pre-rhinoplasty shape. If it did, a LOT of people with bad noses would be rescued from their decisions / surgeons by at least magically getting their starting old noses again than being stuck with their new noses.

As regards you "nose the be even wider than it was originally and the bump to reform giving a beak like shape" - it sounds like your original surgeon reduced the hump, thereby creating an "open roof deformity" but did not perform adequate osteotomies (in-fracturing of the bones to narrow the nose) AND failed to reposition the nose tip causing a Polly Beak Deformity.

Your revision appears to have been done poorly because as the swelling is going down you appear to possibly notice an uneven dorsum from either the first or the revision operation where the bone was not rasped smoothly or upper lateral cartilages were not placed together well.

You need to consult a Plastic surgeon specializing in Revision Nose surgery. Your nose is not reverting to the pre-surgery appearance - it appears it may not have been corrected.

Dr. Aldea