Is It Normal for One Breast to Be Bigger Than the Other After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 8 days ago and over the last 2 days one of my breast has swollen more than the other one and the nipple is about 2 centimeters lower.i also have a sun burn feeling on the swolen breast. My boob were the same size before and after until now. Please help im going abroad to get married in 7 weeks and cant go like this.

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

As you can imagine, without direct examination or viewing pictures it is not possible to give you precise advice. Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to rule out complications and to advise you.

Having said that, breast asymmetry 8  days after breast augmentation is very common.  It may take several months for the symmetry to improve and for you to see the final results of surgery.

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Every patient recovers differently and each breast heals at its own rate. Please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon if you have any concerns regarding recovery. Best of luck to you.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry and pain after 8 days

Without an exam it is difficult to say what is going on.  Pain and increased swelling could be infection, hematoma, or just differential swelling to name a few. An exam in person is key.  Go see your surgeon.

Breast asymmetries after breast augmentation

It is almost always the norm to have one breast swell more then the other and have those asymmetries after the surgery.At about 6 weeks you will have a better idea on how they are going to look and it takes up to 6 months to year for final appearance baring a formation of a capsule.

Unless this swelling is sudden severe and painful a sign of a hematoma (bleeding) you should try and not worry to much.

Discuss it with your surgeon as well.

Good luck on your wedding and congratulations.

Breast swelling can be normal 8 days post op but check a couple things ...

Hi Vicky,  Thanks for taking the time to write your question.  After any operation it is not uncommon to have some swelling.  Breast augmentation surgery is no different.  Occassionally on breast may be more swollen than the other and this usually settles quickly.  It is a less common to get new, significant swelling 6 days after the surgery.  "Significant swelling" would be a really notable difference between the two breasts when they are compared to each other in or out of your post op surgical support bra.  If normal swelling, cold compresses and anti-inflammatories (if allowed by your surgeon) will often settle it quickly.  If the larger breast has a "burning sensation" it can be from the stretching of the nerves that can occur at the time of the surgery - that is common and will settle soon.  If the swelling is recent in onset and associated with a fever and pain (especially with movement of the implant) it may be due to an early infection.  This is extremely rare complication.  If the swelling is recent and the breast looks a little more bruised, it may be related to a small collection of blood around the implant (a hematoma).  Again this is extremely rare.  I would suggest that you see your plastic surgeon for a quick assessment to be reassured.  I hope this information is helpful.  Im sure everything will work out.  Bets wishes on your upcoming wedding.  Dont forget to resize your dress.  Dr. Scott Barr

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon