Is Bloating After Breast Augmentation Normal?

I am 8 days post op, and feel as though I have gained A LOT of weight. My lower abdomen is really tight and hard, and I have lower back pain also. My clothes feel really tight across my thighs as well. I obviously haven't been active compared to what I'm used to, but have been eating relatively the same diet. Surely I can't have put on so much weight in a week?!?

Water retention after surgery

It is common to retain water after surgery and gain weight most patient return to their normal weight at about two weeks after surgery.

Good luck

550 Biltmore Way
Miami, FL 33134

Bloating after Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question. Bloating and weight gain are both very common after breast augmentation. Your body will tend to retain fluid as a result of soft tissue swelling that occurs after any surgical procedure. If you are taking pain medicine it can slow down your intestinal tract and cause bloating. The weight will diminish over time as the swelling subsides. Make sure you drink adequate amounts of water, walk as much as you can, and stop taking narcotic pain medicines as soon as you can tolerate it. If you are not moving your bowels it is important to increase the fiber in your diet or try a laxative. If you develop more back pain or abdominal pain you should consult with your physician. I hope you feel better soon.

Charles A. Messa III, MD

2823 Executive Park Drive
Weston, FL 33331

Feeling bloated after surgery is common.

It’s not unusual for patients to have weight gain and the sensation of bloating following breast augmentation surgery.This can occur for a variety of reasons including swelling at the surgical site, constipation from narcotics use and generalized fluid retention.
Patients are typically given significant amounts of IV fluids during their surgical procedure.In addition, the body responds to trauma or surgery by retaining fluid as a protective mechanism.Under these circumstances, patients can see significant weight gain from fluid retention following breast augmentation.This weight gain typically peaks 5 to 7 days following surgery and, in most cases, resolves spontaneously.
Patients also frequently develop constipation and bloating from narcotic pain relievers.For this reason, patients should maintain hydration, ambulate frequently and switch to nonnarcotic pain relievers as soon as possible.In some cases, laxatives may be necessary as well.
If you’re concerned about post-operative bloating, a discussion with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.Your surgeon should be able to reassure you and make your post-operative experience more comfortable.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Bloating After Breast Augmentation

This is probably related to swelling, which you can help get rid of by drinking plenty of water, going to the washroom regularly and walking leisurely around to keep your circulation going. Over the course of a few weeks, your bloated feeling will most likely  away. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Surgery and bloating

Bloating after surgery is common and most likely due to the pain medication given for relief.  Water retention is also normal as the body retains water after srugery as part of the healing process.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028