Is Bloating After Breast Augmentation Normal?

I am 8 days post op, and feel as though I have gained A LOT of weight. My lower abdomen is really tight and hard, and I have lower back pain also. My clothes feel really tight across my thighs as well. I obviously haven't been active compared to what I'm used to, but have been eating relatively the same diet. Surely I can't have put on so much weight in a week?!?

Bloating after Breast Augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question. Bloating and weight gain are both very common after breast augmentation. Your body will tend to retain fluid as a result of soft tissue swelling that occurs after any surgical procedure. If you are taking pain medicine it can slow down your intestinal tract and cause bloating. The weight will diminish over time as the swelling subsides. Make sure you drink adequate amounts of water, walk as much as you can, and stop taking narcotic pain medicines as soon as you can tolerate it. If you are not moving your bowels it is important to increase the fiber in your diet or try a laxative. If you develop more back pain or abdominal pain you should consult with your physician. I hope you feel better soon.

Bloating After Breast Augmentation

+1
This is probably related to swelling, which you can help get rid of by drinking plenty of water, going to the washroom regularly and walking leisurely around to keep your circulation going. Over the course of a few weeks, your bloated feeling will most likely  away. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Water retention after surgery

+1

It is common to retain water after surgery and gain weight most patient return to their normal weight at about two weeks after surgery.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and bloating

+1

Bloating after surgery is common and most likely due to the pain medication given for relief.  Water retention is also normal as the body retains water after srugery as part of the healing process.