Is Bloating After Breast Augmentation Normal?

I am 8 days post op, and feel as though I have gained A LOT of weight. My lower abdomen is really tight and hard, and I have lower back pain also. My clothes feel really tight across my thighs as well. I obviously haven't been active compared to what I'm used to, but have been eating relatively the same diet. Surely I can't have put on so much weight in a week?!?

Bloating after Breast Augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question. Bloating and weight gain are both very common after breast augmentation. Your body will tend to retain fluid as a result of soft tissue swelling that occurs after any surgical procedure. If you are taking pain medicine it can slow down your intestinal tract and cause bloating. The weight will diminish over time as the swelling subsides. Make sure you drink adequate amounts of water, walk as much as you can, and stop taking narcotic pain medicines as soon as you can tolerate it. If you are not moving your bowels it is important to increase the fiber in your diet or try a laxative. If you develop more back pain or abdominal pain you should consult with your physician. I hope you feel better soon.

Water retention after surgery

+1

It is common to retain water after surgery and gain weight most patient return to their normal weight at about two weeks after surgery.

Good luck

Web reference: http://www.talroudnerplasticsurgery.com/breastaugmentation.php

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and bloating

+1

Bloating after surgery is common and most likely due to the pain medication given for relief.  Water retention is also normal as the body retains water after srugery as part of the healing process.