Is It Normal to Feel Different Types of Pain in Breast After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I had my breast Aug. a month and a week ago.They look really good and I love them.My question is, I feel a difference in the pain on each breast. My breast on my right side, I experience little to no pain and the breast on my left side is a different story. I feel a stretchy/pulling pain by the roundness of my breast under the armpit.I usually only feel it when I lay down.I think they dropped already or atleast well on their way.In the photo it is the left breast.(your left) that I refer too

Pain is often asymmetric after breast implant surgery

Thank you for  your question and photographs. It is very common for one breast to have more pain than the other after breast augmentation surgery. The pain may be more on one side, or last longer, or be a different type of pain. Most of the time, there is no obvious reason for the difference and it subsides over time. As long as your surgeon feels that there is not a problem, I would not worry about it. You can use ice, antiinflammatories, massage, etc. Whatever makes you feel better.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Different types of pain after breast augmentation

After a breast augmentation many changes are occurring in the upper portion of your body. During this time your muscles are reacting to the stretching created by the presence of the implant. Because of this it is very common for patients to experience different types of pain in each breast after breast augmentation. It is very uncommon for this persists past 3 months postoperatively.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

This is normal...

It’s not unusual for patients to experience pain following breast augmentation surgery.In some cases, this pain may only involve one breast.This pain is usually related to elevation of the muscles during submuscular breast pocket formation.In addition, spasm of these muscles can contribute to post-operative discomfort as well.
The pain associated with breast augmentation is severe in the first 24 to 48 hours following surgery but rapidly diminishes with time.We typically use a synthetic codeine derivative called hydrocodone which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to codeine.We replace narcotic pain relievers with Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.We also use muscle relaxants in the immediate post-operative period.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation.If you’re having pain following this procedure, it’s important that you contact your plastic surgeon.

Breast Pain After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
Every patient heals differently, and each breast heals at its own rate. If you are concerned with pain please follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Why is one breast more sore than the other after my breast augmentation?

From the first day of surgery on, patients commonly say that one breast is more tender than the other, and they are concerned that something is wrong. This is absolutely normal and happens to all patients. Breast augmentation is actually two separate surgeries (one on the left side and one on the right), so it’s no surprise that each side heals at a different rate and with a different sensitivity from the other.

Ted Eisenberg, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breasts

Your breasts can heal at different rates, and many women find that one side may not have any pain while the other is totally different. 

Breast Implant Surgery

Yes different types of pain will feel different, muscle pain will be an ache and deep soreness vs nerve pain will be more electric like in nature

Why Does One Breast Hurt More Than The Other After A Breast Augmentation?

For unknown reasons, one breast always has a little more pain than the other after a breast augmentation.  It could be differential stretching, nerve endings close to the implant, differential pressure on the ribs, etc.  The good news is that your breasts look great.  Kudos to your plastic surgeon and kudos to you for choosing your plastic surgeon. 

I believe in the prophylactic use of Accolate (an asthma pill) to decrease the chance of capsular contracture around an implant.  You probably are having just normal post op pain, but if it persists, it would be appropriate to see your plastic surgeon.  If there is, in fact, any sign of capsular contracture, discuss with him or her the use of Accolate.  In my practice, this definitely decreases pain due to the early formation of scar around the breast implant.

Pain after breast augmentation.

Pain after surgery is not unusual and often is greater in one breast than in the other. Your early result looks excellent.  See your surgeon, share your concerns, and discuss whether he (she) thinks that anti-inflammatory medication may help you with your discomfort, as your healing progresses.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon