Interested in Breast Augmentation. What Will 370-380cc Put Me At If I'm A 34B Right Now? (photo)

My name is Laura. I am 21 years old and I have been very interested in a breast augmentatoin procedure. My natural breast size is a 34B with a little bit of a natural "pull of gravity" aka sag lol. I am looking into a taerdrop silicone implant placed submuscular through the areola. If I am a 34B now, what size will a 370cc-380cc implant leave me at? The biggest I would go for an implant would be 400cc's but I feel like I don't need to, since I already have "something to hold on to" lol

Picking the perfect breast implant

+3

Laura there are some issue that need to be considered prior to picking the ideal implant for you.  The first is how do you want it to look when you are done with the surgery?  Do you want the fake look? The natural look? Something in between?  Are you tall or short, this makes a significant difference in how the same size implants will look.  You will need to be seen by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does a lot of these procedures for optimal results. 

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Predicting Bra Size based upon Implant Size

+2

It's an educated guess when it comes to predicting post-operative cup size. However, with the size you are contemplating you would possibly be a D cup. A subglandular approach would be reasonable, as would a dual plane sub-pectoral approach as concerns implant placement. I am personally not a great fan of 'anatomical' implants and would probably use a moderate profile implant. Your breasts already demonstrate a good deal of volume and it would be easy to reduce the volume of the implants you are considering and still give you a suitable amount of fullness. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Breats augemntation when there is a little "sag"

+2

From your pictures I would recommend a sub-glandular (on top of the muscle) approach using ROUND gel implants.  The goal would be to add volume to create better balance between your breast volume and breast skin envelopes. 

Teardrop implants will provide an unnatural upper pole fullness and will also have the potential to rotate.

Under the muscle placement will isolate the implant from your natural breast volume.  This will become a problem over time as your breasts respond to gravity (droop) and the implants do not.  This will create a double bubble deformity down the road and will require more surgery.

Gel implants are very well tolerated under the breast and provide a natural result that will last a very long time.  You may eventually want a lift, but not in the near future.

Please don't use the teardrop implants, especially if you decide to go under the muscle. 

As far as size is concerned, I would anticipate needing a 250-325 cc implant, but for best results this should be determined in the OR using temporary sizers.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Choose a low profile silicone gel in a cold-subfascial plane for a natural tear-dropshape

+2

From the look of things you should probably go 280-370 in the subfascial plane for a natural look.  I perform the cold-subfascial augmentation to create beautiful tear drop shaped breast. Only in a in person exam can a surgeon advise you exactly on implant selection but be sure that you choose low profile in the range above and select a cohesive silicone gel.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breast implants and cup size

+2

There are two things I always tell my patients when it comes to implant volumes and cup sizes.  First, bra manufacturers are all different.  They don't have standard cup sizes.  While you might be a B cup in one bra, you might be a C cup in another.  With that in mind, no one can guarantee you a cup size.  We can only put you in the ballpark of what cup size you might want.

Second, different doctors have different ways of determining which volume implant to use.  There isn't a standard formula we all use.  You might look online and find ten patients who are your height, weight, and body frame.  They may all have different sized implants and they may all look great.  It isn't like putting bumpers on Chevrolets.  Every patient is different and must be evaluated individually.  Which implant will work best for you is something you will have to work out in consultation with the doctor you choose to do your surgery.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Best Breast Implant Size for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. In person examination will be necessary to give you good advice (for example whether breast lifting will be necessary to improve symmetry of the breasts).

You are correct in that you have a significant amount of breast tissue to begin with. Therefore, you will likely not need a  large implant to achieve your goals.

Unfortunately,  no plastic surgeon is able to accurately predict what cup size you will end up wearing after breast augmentation with a certain size implant. I would suggest that you not base your communication  or your satisfaction with the results of surgery on achieving a specific cup size. 

I would also suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of goal pictures)  and ask him/her to do his/her best to achieve the results you are looking for.  You may want to leave it up to him/her to use a breast implant that he/she feels will do the job based on intraoperative evaluation.

Again, the preoperative communication of goals is critical.  Once you feel comfortable that you have communicated your goals clearly (assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully),  you will likely feel comfortable allowing him/her to choose the appropriate breast implants for you.

Increase in Size with 370 cc to 380 cc implants

+1
Cup Size is an inexact measurement. 370 cc - 380 cc implants, should increase you to a C or D cup.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

What will my cup size be after surgery?

+1

Great question, Laura!  And believe it or not, it's a very complicated question. The bottom line is that it is virtually impossible to predict what your cup size will be after surgery. You need to meet in person with at least one board certified plastic surgeon who will take multiple measurements of your breasts and chest and have a detailed discussion with you about your body, your goals, and your desires. When it comes to choosing an implant size, you need to make the decision based on your body, your measurements, and your goals, rather than what size implants your friend or sister has!  I hope that helps and wish you all the best! 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Getting sized for breast implants is much more involved than it seems at first thought.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Getting sized for breast implants is much more involved than it seems at first thought. It requires a full consultation with detailed questions to see exactly what your goals are, short and long term. It also requires precise measurements of your current breast dimensions, the dimensions of your chest wall, as well as preoperative photography, standard or 3D imaging.

To see what the best options are for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS