Normal to Drain +2 Weeks After Liposuction?

I had liposuction done on my stomach, back, and flanks two weeks ago. Three days after the surgery I started a session of 10 Lymphatic Drainage massages, with ultra sound therapy. During the massages, they would extract fluid through a syringe. Now, 3 days after the massage session ended I’ve been having moderate leakage for which I’ve been using gauze to soak up the fluid. Is it normal to still be leaking +2 weeks after the surgery? Is there any risk of the incision getting infected?

Drainage 2 Weeks after Liposuction

+1

I would ask your plastic surgeon about this one.  For most surgeons this would be unusual, but the addition of the early massages may produce more fluid drainage.

Fluid Leakage After Surgery

+1

It is absolutely normal to continue leaking fluid at this time. You may potentially have fluid leakage for up to a few weeks. The best thing you can do is ambulate as gravity will help your body get rid of the fluid, and wear your compression garment nice and tight. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Drainage after Liposuction?

+1

In my experience, it would be unusual to have continued drainage 2 weeks after liposuction surgery. You will be best off seeking in person examination by your plastic surgeon; he/she will be able to rule out complications and/or provide you with meaningful  reassurance.

Leakage after liposuction?

+1

With certain liposuction techniques, like ultrasound,  the risk of developing fluid under the skin is higher. These are called seromas and it sounds like these were drained as you described. You should discuss this with your surgeon and get appropriate follow up. You may need additional drainage, but only your surgeon can determine that...

Aldo Guerra, MD