Non-surgical Rhinoplasty - is It Safe? Why So Controversial?

I really want non-surgical rhinoplasty, but shy away due all of the bad press surrounding the procedure. I can afford a surgical nose job, but prefer not to go under the knife. I think most people would consider me attractive, but my profile is asymmetrical, and when I smile my nose droops. It bother me immensely.

I want to get a non-surgical rhinoplasty and feel safe going into the procedure. Can someone reassure me about this controversial procedure? HELP!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Stay away from non surgical nose jobs!

+1

Non surgical rhinoplasty is a relatively new term coined in the past decade along with the flooding of the market with new providers, products and promises!

Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure - period!

Non surgical rhinoplasty is as silly as a non-rolling car! ;)

This is a procedure offered mostly by dermatologists or surgeons who do not fully understand the nose. Fathers of the field of nasal reshaping would never, ever have coined this term or considered it valid.

The nose is a dirty place. Lots of bacteria live there. The skin of the nose is VERY thin. It's a bad combination for infection, and such infections can cause horrible scarring and irreversible problems.

Now with that said, if a patient has had an actual rhinoplasty but post op, developed a small area of depression which would best be treated with a cartilage or fascia grafts down the line, Restylane or Juvederm may be used as a temporary fix if the depressed area bothers the patient enough. The hyaluronic acids, such as Restylane and Juvederm Ultra, are the safest for the nose.

Although Radiesse is used by the providers offering "non surgical rhinoplasty," the substance is essentially bone cement and too harsh for the nose. Radiesse is best used for very deep nasolabial folds or to plump out the cheeks and the midface because it's injected deeper and has a thicker overlying cushion of skin.

Artefill or any permanent filler should NEVER be placed into the nose - ever!

Hope this makes sense.

P.S. By the way, there are plenty of surgeons doing surgical rhinoplasty in an unsafe fashion so there is the other side of the coin as well. Be careful and do a ton of research before doing something irreversible.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Rhinoplasty: benefits and limitations

+2

Nonsurgical rhinoplasty can certainly be an excellent option for the right patients.  The advantages of this procedure include reduced downtime, ease of reversibility, and cost.  However, not every nose can properly be addressed through the use of fillers and Botox and the effects are often temporary.  Therefore I would urge you to seek consultation with a surgeon who is skilled at both surgical and nonsurgical rhinoplasty.  Through the use of computer imaging, you and she/he can decide upon your goals and objectives and determine the best approach.  The last thing I would add is that traditional, "surgical" rhinoplasty is an extremely safe and effective procedure with high patient satisfaction, when performed by a specialist in this type of surgery. 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally yes, it is safe!

+1

Every procedure has a level of risk, and non-surgical rhinoplasty is not an acception to this rule.  Although rare, fillers can cause skin tissue necrosis, scarring and changes in the quality of the skin.

My recommendation is to see a rhinoplasty surgical specialitist who also performs non-surgical rhinoplasty to ensure you are an appropriate candidate.

Non-surgical nose job

+1

Using fillers to adjust minor asymmetry is Ok in some instances.  However, to raise the tip significantly and to contour the tip, surgery is usually better. 

Non-surgical versus Surgical Rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on your issue, you may be a good candidate for a non surgical rhinoplasty procedure with dermal fillers.  However, the nose drooping with smiling is due to depressor muscle action which would require a surgical procedure to correct.  

Web reference: http://www.shaferplasticsurgery.com

Non-surgical rhinoplasty is not an accurate term

+1

As someone else answered, 'non-surgical rhinoplasty' is a misnomer. A rhinoplasty, by definition, is a surgical procedure. This highlights the problem with the term, and the procedure. Let me be clear: There is no filler technique that is a substitute for nasal surgery. Just because a filler can be used in the nose does not mean that it is the best solution. The nasal soft tissues are unlike any other found in the face. There are many complications that can occur, regardless of how experienced the injector is. That being said, there are indeed many surgeons who feel that some fillers can be used conservatively AFTER a rhinoplasty for very subtle contour deformities. I have some very important advice for you: If there is ANY chance that you would consider a rhinoplasty in the future, you should steer clear of filler injections in the nose.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non Surgical Nose Job is controversial now because it is a new technique

+1

Non Surgical Rhinoplasty, like fillers in general represents a tremendous advancement in facial cosmetic procedures.  An individual can have their nose shaped, ( like other areas of the face), without undergoing the trauma and injury of cutting skin, breaking bones, and waiting months to recover.

Non Surgical Nose Job (Rhinoplasty) is however a very specialized technique requiring experience with both fillers and nasal anatomy.

This particular nose could be treated with fillers place and the root of the nose to make it less curved and some Botox place under the nose to reduce the dip that occurs with smiling.

For an example of a Non Surgical Rhinoplasty, please click the link below.

Web reference: http://yourfaceinourhands.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=250&IMAGEID=585&StartRow=1

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving the Nose with Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi jahans in Minnesota,

First, be very careful with any injections into the nose. The nose is very susceptible to color changes, discoloration, swelling, blood flow, pain, numbness, and other potential complications with inappropriate injections into the nose.

There isn't a filler on the market currently that is FDA approved for injection into the nose. Everything is being used off-label. Fillers should never be placed into the tip of the nose, since complications may more likely occur at the nasal tip. Fillers should only placed in the bridge to help smooth contour irregularities and to provide augmentation. Fillers which have been used for nonsurgical rhinoplasty include Radiesse and hyaluronic acids.

One non-surgical rhinoplasty option for you could be Botox Cosmetic. Botox may injected into the base of the nose in specific areas to help reduce the droopy tip when smiling. Results would be temporary, lasting a few months.

Depending on the specific anatomy of your nose and your desires, I suggest first speaking with a rhinoplasty surgeon who can use computer imaging to simulate rhinoplasty. You'll be able to visualize in real time what possibilities are potentially available. Only after a comprehensive in-person evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine the appropriate options for you.

Dr. C

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

The non surgical rhinoplasty is an innovative technique

+1

The most important decision is whether you have some nasal structural pathology, impairing your breathing that may be improved by surgery.  If this is the case a surgical option is best.  The controversy surrounding injectable techniques is based on many factors.  The technique is not as tried and tested as a rhinoplasty which has been performed in various methods for at least 50 years, injectable techniques could prove more expensive than a surgical option since they need to be repeated, previous injections may make future surgery more challenging by creating scar tissue.  In the right patient injectable techniques are a good option.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical nose job might help

+1

While I agree your nose is probably better off treated surgically, if you are not interested in having surgery I do believe you can achieve some improvement with a "filler nose job".  It depends on the skill of the injector, like any procedure, but based on your photo it looks as if the hump you have can be minimized with some filler placed above it and your tip can be improved with some filler placed in that area.  It won't be perfect but it is a small investment with bruising and some minor swelling as the only potential likely side effects, so it might be worth trying if you are adverse to surgery.

Web reference: http://www.ocdermatology.com/surgery-free-nose-jobs/

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon