Non-surgical Ways to Help Sagging Brow Area?

I'm 48 yrs., with having had minimal sun bathing exposure.. no visible damage to forehead skin, yet I've notice a slight drop of my BROW area. Nature is so CRUEL. I don't deserve this; never drank alcohol. I've had my eye lids cut 4 times, removal of excess skin, (which wasn't really bad); just trying to achieve a more open look to my "deep set" eyes. Hate the thought of brow lift..too INVASIVE. Now I'm understanding that Botox relaxes this area even more, having ADVERSE affect. Too bad no invention to inject into musclse something to STIFFEN / or expand.

Slight elevation of eyebrows possible with Botox

You are correct in that Botox relaxes muscles. However a skilled injector can take advantage of this. Think of the eyebrow position as a game of tug of war. Your frontalis muscle pulls the eyebrow up and the orbicularis pulls it down. By precisely weakening the orbicularis, the frontalis wins the tug of war and the brow goes up. The results are subtle but very nice. If you only need a slight elevation this is a great solution.

While a brow lift is considered "invasive", patients tolerate the downtime, which is minimal, very well.

Would you be willing to post some photos? This would be really helpful for the participating surgeons to give some advice on what may be going on with your eyes following multiple eyelid surgeries.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ways to create non-surgical brow lift

The brows can be lifted non-surgically. 

Here are some ways to enhance results:

Non-surgical Options: quick, simple, effective, natural, minimal down-time

* micro-tattoo: enhances the brow hair
* eyelash enhancers: Latisse to help to thicken the brow hairs

* Botox lifts the brow by relaxing the muscles which depress the brow, thereby allowing the elevator muscles to work more freely. Consequently, brows can be elevated.

* fillers: Juvederm, Restylane, and especially Perlane and Restylane give instant brow lifting and work well after the area has been botoxed. Sculptra can also be used nicely as well

Micro-surgical Options: quick, simple, effective, with some down time

* fat grafting as filler: fat can be used to reshape and thicken the brow, improve upper lid concavity, and the skin quality as well in the temple areas.
* barbed sutures: dramatic but very temporary lifting result

Surgical Options: more dramatic, longer lasting, with some down time required

* upper Blepharoplasty with internal brow lift: technique used to "push" up the brow with suture fixation and simultaneous partial removal of the muscles responsible for depressing the brows, thereby "lifting" up the brows.
* direct brow lift: better for lateral brow lifting only
* mid-forehead lift: for forehead with multiple creases, especially in men with high forehead
* forehead lift, endoscopic: for medial and central brow lifting
* lateral or temporal brow lift: for lateral brow lifting; can be combined with endoscopic brow lifting

George Sun, MD

Non-surgical Brow Lift

4 eyelid operations is a LOT of surgery. This would explain your "deep set eyes" - excessive eyelid fat removal combined with natural aging results in the eyeballs literally sinking deeper into the eye socket.

Botox is a GREAT way to non-surgically lift the eye brows. By understanding facial anatomy, a skilled doctor can selectively weaken the muscles responsible for pulling the brows lower. This results in an easier automatic lifting of the brows by the frontalis muscle.

Brow contouring

One reason your brows are lower may be because of the upper eyelid surgeries you have had: the more skin you cut between the upper eyelid lashes and brow, will bring the brow lower. Another reason for brow lowering is deflation of the brow from age-related volume/fat loss from the brow. By replacing the lost volume (fat, fillers), the brows can be elevated. Botox can elevate the brows too.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS

Brow sag

You can inject fat beneath the brow to elevate it slightly.

You can also use your own fat to add volume in the upper eyelid to decrease the hollow appearance.

Since you have had surgery in the past what is holding you back from just elevating the brow?

Best of luk

Dr J

A. Dean Jabs MD, PhD
Bethesda, MD/McLean, VA
301.641.3195

Help with sagging brow

If it true that you had 4 eyelid surgeries you probably are not a candidate for brow lift. You will have a complication that you will not be able to close your eyes completely.
Surgery is not a good option for you, might have to consider Botox.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical ways to help a sagging brow

The only nonsurgical treatment and helps the forehead is Botox placed in the lateral brow area just above the orbital rims. The forehead is composed of elevator and depressor  muscles that work antagonistically. Botox is  a paralytic agent and when it's placed in the depressor muscles of the forehead, there is a corresponding lift

Non-surgical brow lift

For more permanent results a brow lfit is the way to go.  But, I have had a lot of success with Botox in patients to achieve temporary results.

Non- Surgical Browlift

Botox is used to contour the brow by injecting into the muscles that normally pull down the brow. Although easily performed, the improvement will last only 3-4 months. After 4 eyelid surgeries, make sure there is adequate skin in the upper eyelids to properly close the eyes after lifting the brows.  

Botox can often simulate a surgical browlift

Botox has been used for years to smooth upper facial lines. It can also be used to lift and shape drooping eyebrows. By relaxing the muscles that pull the eyebrows down (this can be demonstrated by winking) the eyebrows can be raised up. To achieve a natural shape, the center of the brow, near the nose, can also be raised or lowered to enhance the shape.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD