Very Sensitive Nipples 3 Years After Breast Augmentation?

I had silicone BA 3yrs ago. Nipples were left a little sensative but not overly so. As of a month ago, both have been VERY sensative to touch and clothes contact. They are dry and peeling. It feels like burning, shooting pain in nipple/areola area a few times a day. No pain around rest of breast.

Could this be due to the silicone? I have gained 60 lbs since BA. Could it be the weight gain? Could it be an infection? Or a fungus on nipple? I am not pregnant. Not menstrating.

Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+2

Your description of developing hypersensitivity and burning in the nipples 3 years after breast augmentation is almost certainly not related to the breast implants or your breast augmentation surgery.

This is not a symptom of a leaking silicone gel implant.

Burning and shooting pain is fairly characteristic of stretching or pressure on a sensory nerve. Weight gain can contribute to this. Ill-fitting garments (think about your bras after recent weight gain) may be contributing.

Don't ignore the symptoms. Definitely visit your gynecologist to rule out other causes.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Sudden increase nipple sensitivity 3 years after breast implants

+1

It is unlikely your silicone implants are the direct cause of your increased nipple sensitivity but there are several issues here to be addressed. Sudden appearance of dry chaffed nipples could be a sign of a more serious underlying disease such as Paget's disease and should be evaluated by an experienced profeesional. Other causes I have observed include the possibility of nerve irritation occuring with repetitive motion such as painting a room. Also I had one patient who' sudden increase in sensitivity heralded her being pregnant. Weight gain is associated with increased tenderness.  As you can see there are many potential causes and you should see your physician for an evaluation including the possiblity of imaging or biopsy.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Changes in sensation are most likely not related to your surgery

+1

It is unlikely that the recent sensitivity changes you've seen are a result of your surgery.  Temparary changes after a breast augmentation are relatively common.  Some patients become more sensitive, some patients claim to be less sensitive.  Permanent sensory changes are rare.  Over the years I have seen a handful of patients who have developed similiar symptoms to yours.  For some unknown reason they developed what appeared to be a rash of one or both areolae years after surgery.  Their symptoms cleared up with a topical steroid.  Your best bet is to be evaluated by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area. 

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Burning nipples after breast augmentation?

+1

Problems beginning years after augmentation are almost certainly not related to the augmentation procedure.  

Minor nipple sensitivity changes are very common temporarily after breast augmentation.  However, these problems usually gone within a few months.    Please see your family physician to rule out common causes for this problem and to have a health examination.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

It maybe related to weight gain

+1

I'm afraid those sensitive nipples can occur following breast enlargement surgery it may be related to putting on some weight and ideally if you could decrease this, this may improve matters slightly.

London Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitvity after breast augmentation

+1

It is not unusual to experience some change in nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation, or unusual sensations such as tingling. However, these symptoms often occur immediately after surgery and resolve with time. The sensations you are describing 3 years after surgery are probably not related to the augmentation should be evaluated for another cause.

Please see a plastic surgeon about these nipple changes

+1

Nipple changes such as you describe 3 years after breast implant surgery are likely unrelated to your surgery.  You may have something else (a medical problem) going on that needs to be evaluated.

Nipple sensation can be affected by breast augmentation.

+1

Nipple sensation can be affected by breast augmentation but this is usually in the early postoperative period.  Sensation can be decreased (more common) or increased.

The symptoms you describe with dryness, pain, and peeling do not seem to be related to the breast augmentation.  This may be due to a skin disease or sensitivity to fabrics, chemicals, or environmental exposure.

This is something that you may want to have your PCP or a dermatologist look at to determine if something can be done to help improve your symptoms.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive nipples after augmentation may or may not be related to the surgery itself

+1

Many women will experience an increase in the sensitivity of their nipples following breast augmentation.  But for most, this increase sensation will generally subside over time and normalize.  If you experience significant sensitivity or even pain to your nipples after the first year, there is probably something else going on.  

First, you may have a degree of capsular contracture.  However, this generally causes discomfort to the entire breast and is usually on one side only.  

Next, you may have a ruptured implant.  However, the likelihood of both rupturing at the same time is incredibly low.

Finally, this change may have nothing whatsoever to do with your implants and may be related to your native breast tissue.

To best determine what is causing this and to effectively treat it, you are best off to see a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and have he/she examine you to rule out the obvious possible causes.  If no cause is found, then a mammogram followed by an ultrasound or MRI might also help identify a cause for your symptoms.

I hope this helps!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitivity years after breast augmentation

+1

The nipple sensation changes you have had recently are unlikely related to the breast augmentation. Although it is common to have sensation changes immediately and for a few months after breast augmentation, it is rare to see this begin years later. Although an extracapsular silicone implant rupture may cause inflammatory changes around the sensory nerves, this too would be unlikely at 3 years, and to have happen in both breasts. With weight gain (particularly with enlarging breasts) it is more common to have a decrease in sensation.

There are many causes of irritation of the skin - most commonly a reaction to either a new soap or detergent. Keeping note of any change in moisturizers, creams, etc. that you have made may alert you to the cause as well. Regardless, when you have any change in your breasts, it is recommended to be seen by your doctor. Although rare to cause nipple sensation changes in both breasts at the same time, breast cancer needs to be excluded.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon