Very Sensitive Nipples 3 Years After Breast Augmentation?

I had silicone BA 3yrs ago. Nipples were left a little sensative but not overly so. As of a month ago, both have been VERY sensative to touch and clothes contact. They are dry and peeling. It feels like burning, shooting pain in nipple/areola area a few times a day. No pain around rest of breast.

Could this be due to the silicone? I have gained 60 lbs since BA. Could it be the weight gain? Could it be an infection? Or a fungus on nipple? I am not pregnant. Not menstrating.

Nipple Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+2

Your description of developing hypersensitivity and burning in the nipples 3 years after breast augmentation is almost certainly not related to the breast implants or your breast augmentation surgery.

This is not a symptom of a leaking silicone gel implant.

Burning and shooting pain is fairly characteristic of stretching or pressure on a sensory nerve. Weight gain can contribute to this. Ill-fitting garments (think about your bras after recent weight gain) may be contributing.

Don't ignore the symptoms. Definitely visit your gynecologist to rule out other causes.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Very sensitive nipples 3 years after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Suddenly overly sensitive nipples

+1
Dear alikidd,
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue. In your case, sensitivity that happens this far from surgery may be related to a capsular contraction that is affecting the nerve to the nipple. This may be able to be lessened by a capsulotomy or capsulectomy. Discuss with your PS.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD 

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sudden increase nipple sensitivity 3 years after breast implants

+1

It is unlikely your silicone implants are the direct cause of your increased nipple sensitivity but there are several issues here to be addressed. Sudden appearance of dry chaffed nipples could be a sign of a more serious underlying disease such as Paget's disease and should be evaluated by an experienced profeesional. Other causes I have observed include the possibility of nerve irritation occuring with repetitive motion such as painting a room. Also I had one patient who' sudden increase in sensitivity heralded her being pregnant. Weight gain is associated with increased tenderness.  As you can see there are many potential causes and you should see your physician for an evaluation including the possiblity of imaging or biopsy.

Changes in sensation are most likely not related to your surgery

+1

It is unlikely that the recent sensitivity changes you've seen are a result of your surgery.  Temparary changes after a breast augmentation are relatively common.  Some patients become more sensitive, some patients claim to be less sensitive.  Permanent sensory changes are rare.  Over the years I have seen a handful of patients who have developed similiar symptoms to yours.  For some unknown reason they developed what appeared to be a rash of one or both areolae years after surgery.  Their symptoms cleared up with a topical steroid.  Your best bet is to be evaluated by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area. 

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Burning nipples after breast augmentation?

+1

Problems beginning years after augmentation are almost certainly not related to the augmentation procedure.  

Minor nipple sensitivity changes are very common temporarily after breast augmentation.  However, these problems usually gone within a few months.    Please see your family physician to rule out common causes for this problem and to have a health examination.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

It maybe related to weight gain

+1

I'm afraid those sensitive nipples can occur following breast enlargement surgery it may be related to putting on some weight and ideally if you could decrease this, this may improve matters slightly.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensitvity after breast augmentation

+1

It is not unusual to experience some change in nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation, or unusual sensations such as tingling. However, these symptoms often occur immediately after surgery and resolve with time. The sensations you are describing 3 years after surgery are probably not related to the augmentation should be evaluated for another cause.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Please see a plastic surgeon about these nipple changes

+1

Nipple changes such as you describe 3 years after breast implant surgery are likely unrelated to your surgery.  You may have something else (a medical problem) going on that needs to be evaluated.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Nipple sensation can be affected by breast augmentation.

+1

Nipple sensation can be affected by breast augmentation but this is usually in the early postoperative period.  Sensation can be decreased (more common) or increased.

The symptoms you describe with dryness, pain, and peeling do not seem to be related to the breast augmentation.  This may be due to a skin disease or sensitivity to fabrics, chemicals, or environmental exposure.

This is something that you may want to have your PCP or a dermatologist look at to determine if something can be done to help improve your symptoms.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon