What Are Signs of a Hematoma After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation a little over a wk ago, the implants were placed submuscular, my left breast seems to be slightly more swollen then my right, and causes me much more discomfort than my right breast, especially when i wake up. I worry this may be a sign of a hematoma or something is wrong.

Signs of hematoma after breast augmentation

+5

It is not uncommon to have one breast hurt more and feel tighter than the other.  This is almost routine since our anatomy is not always the same from one side to another.  Signs of a hematoma that needs to be fixed includes:

Expanding size of the breast

Significant brusing

Progressively worse pain

Usually all of these signs are noted together when a breast hematoma occurs.

Dr Repta

Post Op Hematoma with Breast Augmentation

+3

Minor differences in swelling and tenderness are not usually a cause for concern. If you have a significant hematoma, the difference will be obvious and dramatic. In either case, if you are concerned you should contact you surgeon who can give you an expert opinion.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Signs of a Hematoma

+2
Slightly more swelling in one breast over the other is the rule, not the exception and is totally normal  This will settle down over time and they will be more symmetrical.  A significant change in size in one side compared to the other is the tell-tale sign of hematoma, and you should call your surgeon, immediately if this occurs.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Signs of Hematoma After Breast Augmentation

+2

The three signs of hematoma are swelling, pain, bruising.  Usually the affected sign gets very swollen and painful, and shows extensive bruising.  There may even be some bloody discharge from the incision.  Usually if you have a hematoma it is fairly obvious but if you are not sure have your surgeon check it out.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

PostOp Hematomas are Characterized by Sudden Swelling, Pain, Bruising with Purple Discoloration & Significant Asymmetry

+2

The type of swelling and discomfort that you are experiencing is probably normal. Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post operative period. The swelling can be asymmetric and tends to resolve quickly in the vast majority of patients.

In contrast, post operative hematomas are characterized by sudden swelling, pain, bruising with purple discoloration and significant asymmetry. Hematomas require re operative surgery to control bleeding and evacuate residual blood within the breast pocket. It’s important to recognize and treat hematomas following breast augmentation promptly to avoid secondary complications. Untreated hematomas can result in significant capsular contractures. In light of your concerns, it’s appropriate for you to seek consultation with your plastic surgeon. Although it’s most likely swelling, a careful evaluation is still appropriate.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Signs of a hematoma after breast augmentation

+2

Signs of hematoma after augmentation are: Marked swelling, black and blue, increasing pain, uneven breasts. If you have any of these symptoms and signs GO no RUN to the operating surgeon. I assume the operating surgeon is in MIAMI? If not, please call my office to see me ASAP. You may need drainage surgery!

From MIAMI Dr. Blinski

Signs of hematoma after a submuscular breast augmentation

+2

From what you are describing this does not sound like a hematoma. Breast hematomas usually present within the first 48 hours and are commonly unilateral (one side) significant swelling, firmness and bruising. If you had a hematoma you would know it! Fortunately enough, this sounds like normal post-operative swelling which is never symmetric and usually more pronounced on your dominant side.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Signs of a hematoma

+1
Hematomas are certainly a major concern.  I tell patients to call immediately if One breast is MUCH more swollen and MUCH more painful.  Slight differences are normal.  However when in doubt call your surgeon.  He should be happy to see you and check

Good Luck

Rady Rahban, MD

Hematoma following breast augmentation

+1
If you have any questions about your health or comfort following breast augmentation surgery, contact your plastic surgeon's office immediately. They will want to be aware of any problems and / or put your mined at ease. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon