Nipple Burning & Pain After Breast Lift?

After my breast lift (18 mo ago), I had severe burning & pain in my left nipple & it was/is very hard. A 2nd opinion surgeon said that nipple continued nipple muscle spasms are causing the problem. He suggested Botox to relax the nipple muscles- which didn't help. I wear a silicone nipple protector over it during the day & in the shower. I'm now on Neurontin for the "nerve" pain and I've cut my estrogen (for menopausal sx) in half - both help a little. Is there a solution?

Nipple burning & pain after breast lift?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. Discuss with your surgeon who can examine and decide the cause as well as give you advice.  Best wishes!

Nipple issues

+1

It sounds like you are doing the right things, but it may not get better. Another suggestion is to have a consult with a pain consultant for desensitization therapy.