I Dislike the Scarring from Breast Lifts - What Are my Choices? (photo)

I have had large breasts my whole life, &since I was also on the chunky side my whole life, they were always nice and full.Now I'm 46, & getting fit.Have lost some weight and a lot of inches, and my breasts are deflating.I know that the easiest answer for my situation is probably augmentation with a lift, but I REALLY dislike the vertical scar from nipple downward resulting from a lift. Plus it seems most drs can't cut a perfect circle around the nipple & they look like stop signs.Options?

Ultimate Breast Lift= No Vertical Scar

+2

I don't like vertical scars either, plus the standard techniques do not provide long term upper pole fullness. But, now there is a new technique that was developed to reshape and permanently suspend the breast without the need of a vertical scar. The Ultimate Breast Lift uses complex engineering principles to redisign the ideal breast for every type of breast problem. There is no vertical scar regardless of breast size or degree of ptosis (sagginess). Nipple sensitivity is preserved, breasts are lifted to their original position and the scars are successfully hidden around the areola and in the natural crease of the breast mound.

Kind regards,

Dr. H 

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

For an aesthetically pleasing result a breast lift is indicated in your case. If you are not able to accept these scars associated with breast lifting than it is in your best interest not to have any surgery done at this time.

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Afraid of Scars

+1

You'll need a full lift, with or without implants.  Don't be fooled by a surgeon telling you otherwise.  If you can't find a surgeon who's results are not acceptable, don't do any surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Breast lift options

+1

In my practice, the vast majority of patients would rather have the anchor type scar of a breast lift than have sagging breasts.  Most incisions heal beautifully by 1 or 1.5 years where the scars are difficult to see.  It really just depends on the overall look you wish to achieve.  An implant alone will just fill out deflated breasts but they will not get you a lift

Avoiding or minimizing scarring in the breast lift or mastopexy procedure

+1

The overall shape of your breast is esthetically pleasing.  You have minimal ptosis or breast sagging.  I believe you would have a good result with a standard vertical scar mastopexy (the one you said you didn't like!)

We have improved our results as plastic surgeons over the years by changing how we think conceptually about mastopexy.  Before, it was using the skin as a brassiere to support the underlying tissue. This required extensive, anchor or T-shaped incisions that over time could look boxy or unesthetic.  The approach today is to lift and resuspend the breast parenchyma and use less skin resection and fewer and shorter scars.

Having said that, you still need scars to reshape the breast!  Ask to see the surgeon's pre and post op work and closely examine the shape and quality of the scars.  There are many surgeons who have great results.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Lift options

+1

With deflated breasts, if you want more fullness/volume you will need an implant.  Sometimes just an incision around the border of your areola can be performed. Otherwise a vertical technique using a lollipop incision or an anchor incision would have to be used. An exam in person would be essential.

The breast lift scar is something you should discuss in detail during consultation

+1

It's quite common to want not only fuller breasts positioned higher on the chest wall but also as minimal or undetectable a scar as possible. Incision location and scarring is something every breast lift with aug patient should discuss in detail with their board certified plastic surgeon.

When doing a breast lift, surgeons want to remove as much skin as necessary to tighten up the breast tissue and lift it on the chest wall. The skill of the surgeon comes in determining how much skin to take, leaving the least amount of scarring. When we are adding an implant, we are filling up the breast skin envelope, so less skin should be taken out than for just a lift.

There are basically three techniques with a difference in the type of scar left by each. The Vertical scar (Lollipop scar or Lassus technique), the Bennelli scar (Periareolar scar, donut scar), and the Wise pattern scar (Anchor scar, Inverted T scar).

I use the Bennelli scar on nearly all of my breast lift with implant patients. The scar circles the nipple areolar complex, but I use speical sutures to avoid pleating in the nipple. Traditional sutures with this technique can cause creasing of the skin, much like small pleats in a skirt. Postoperatively the scars around the nipple fade well so that a year later you can hardly see them.

Be sure to discuss all of your specific case options with your surgeon and review before and after photos during consult to ensure you and your surgeon are on the same preop page.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2012/05/21/breast-lift-with-implants-which-technique-leaves-the-least-scars/

You will need to have vertical incision

+1

Your breast tissue dictates the pattern of the lift and if you do not want scar,you should not get surgery.The result of the lift and implant are unpredictable and the rate of revision is high.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Surgery = Scars

+1

If you do not want scars, don't do surgery. A bra will lift your breasts. If you want good looking breast, you will need to accept scars.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

I Dislike the Scarring from Breast Lifts - What Are my Choices?

+1

There are no shortcuts to good results, but you should never do a cosmetic surgical procedure that you are uncomfortable with. To get the best results, once the nipples get down to or below the crease a lift is necessary. You can do just implants and it will look OK in clothing but not when you are undressed. When we make the cut around the nipple it is done with a device that is a perfect circle, but we cannot control the forces of healing which may cause some distortion to that circle. The scar around the areola and the vertical scar are rarely a problem for patients, although it does depend on how your skin scars. I talk with my patients about "trade-offs". To get the look you want it takes scars and that is part of that trade-off. But whether or not you choose that option is purely up to you.