Is It Safe to Take Citalopram Antidepressant (A.k.a Celexa, Cipramil) Before Having a Rhinoplasty?

I have been on citalopram for anxiety for 6 months, I have surgery in 3 weeks, is it ok to still take them? I'm on 40mg

Citalopram and Rhinoplasty

+2

The use of citalopram should not pose additional risks for your rhinoplasty.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Antidepressants and rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to taking antidepressants before and after a rhinoplasty. They do not interfere with bleeding issues are certainly acceptable to continue taking them.

Rhinoplasty surgery and anti-depressants

+1

Dear eliza bethany,

• Yes it is safe to be on citalopram
  • There was a study done looking at bleeding rates for a facelift on and off of anti-depressants and there was no significant difference between the 2
  • Congratulations on your new nose, it will be great!

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD