Is It Safe to Take Citalopram Antidepressant (A.k.a Celexa, Cipramil) Before Having a Rhinoplasty?

I have been on citalopram for anxiety for 6 months, I have surgery in 3 weeks, is it ok to still take them? I'm on 40mg

Citalopram and Rhinoplasty

The use of citalopram should not pose additional risks for your rhinoplasty.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Antidepressants and rhinoplasty

It is certainly acceptable to taking antidepressants before and after a rhinoplasty. They do not interfere with bleeding issues are certainly acceptable to continue taking them.

Rhinoplasty surgery and anti-depressants

Dear eliza bethany,

• Yes it is safe to be on citalopram
  • There was a study done looking at bleeding rates for a facelift on and off of anti-depressants and there was no significant difference between the 2
  • Congratulations on your new nose, it will be great!

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD