How Long Do I Have to Wait for Columella Scar Revision?

I just had my revision rhinoplasty 16 days ago, and I am quite happy with the result. The swelling has gone down quite a bit too. The only concern is the columella scar - there is a step when viewed from the profile. The columella isn't drooping, and the scar is not visible from front. I'm wondering, usually how long do patients have to wait for columella scar revision? I did some research here and read that it is a relatively minor procedure done in office. And how is the swelling afterward?

Tincture of time is the best medicine

+2

Rhinoplasty and specifically the scarring that occurs with the procedure often gets better with time. Specifically the columellar scar virtually disappears with time. Small imperfections now will most likely disappear with time and watchful waiting. If it indeed needs revision after 9 months to 1 year a small in office procedure under local anesthesia can be performed. Until that time try to use a good sunblock to prevent prolonged redness and inflammation. Good luct to you.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar Scar Revision Following Open Rhinoplasty

+2

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would recommend you wait at least 6-9 months before considering scar revision of the columellar region. In many cases, adequate healing time will result in improvement of the scar. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella Incision

+2

Sixteen days post surgery is to soon to make any decisions regarding revision surgery. When the incision on the columella is done properly it is typically imperceptible  to the human eye. See your surgeon for frequent post operative appointments so that he/she may give you some piece of mind during this healing process. Wishing you a speedy and succesful recovery with my best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D,. 

Michael Elam, MD

Columella Scar

+2

16 days postop is far to early to evaluate your columella scar after Rhinoplasty.  These incisions typically heal imperceptibly.  Having used the open Rhinoplasty approach for over 12 years, I have never had to revise a scar in this area.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella scar

+2

The columella scar after a rhinoplasty is often swollen and this can take several months for it to go down.

Columella healing takes time

+2

Dear blah842

It is good to hear that your healing is going well only a few weeks after surgery

• The columellar scar will change in the next months and may not require any treatment.  
  • your surgeon may recommend some scar management in the meantime.
  • Rarely is anything needed, but even dermabrasion may be helpful after sufficient healing time. 
  • just protect it from the sun and do your best to be patient. 

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar Scar Revision

+2

The scar will definitely change over the course of the next several months.  You should wait until your plastic surgeon says it is safe to perform.  Scar revision in the simplest of cases is very minor, and the swelling is limited.

Scar with Open Rhinoplasty

+2

It is normal for the scar to be not flat and visible at 2 weeks. These scars settle down over several months, and it is rare for a revision of the scar to be necessary.  The scar will generally improve for up to a year, and unless it is very bad, would not recommend revision before then. It sounds like things are going well, and over time everything will turn out well

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Columellar scar revision

+1

Glad to hear you are happy with your result! It is too soon to tell how the final result of your columellar scar will look. 16 days is still very soon after surgery, and your swelling is near its peak. I would give it a bit of time before considering a columellar scar revision. In the meantime, I would recommend following up with your surgeon and having him/her examine the area, as they know the details of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

The scar will most likely continue to improve for several months.  You might want to give it some time before thinking about a scar revision to that area.  This, IMHO, rarely needs to be done as the scar typically heals quite well.