Scar Concerns and Tightness After Neck Liposuction

I had submental Liposuction, and the scar under my neck is small but is tough and half of it is pinkish. I do have a keloid on my chest so this worries me. I am using a silicone products, any other suggestions? Also, more importantly, my center neck muscle is still very tight, is this an issue?

Scar Management

+2

Scar managment depends on how far out from the surgical trauma. Early scar formation is disorganized ( bird's nest of scar) which typically starts to remodel and smooth starting around the 3-4 weeks following. I usually suggest light massage starting at 3 weeks with VitE...this really only minimizes friction and irritation at the site, controls swelling and stimulates scar reorganization. I start silicone sheets (you can find them at your local pharmacy store) or Scar Guard at 4-6 weeks with intermittent daily continued massage.

I rarely use steroid (Kenalog) injections as I fear thinning of the scar and subcutaneous tissues leading to an unsightly wide and sometimes depressed scar.

Kelois and hypertrophy scars are common on the chest, as well as the earlobes. Many times due to injuries or shavings of lesions left to heal on their own (ear-piercings!). A well closed surgical scar under your chin should heal well is closed properly.

Lastly, SUN SCREEN. Sunburn will cause terminal irritation and possible pigmentation of the scar. Here in the south many pools and lakes as well as oceans with sunlight reflecting up and directly hitting the undersurface of the chin.

I recommend a Zinc based SPC 30 or greater sun screen.

Also remember the 4th dimension: Time heals all wounds and give the scar about 8-10 months to settle down before thinking about a revision.

Massage is very important after liposuction

+1

Massage after liposuction is important to encourage lymphatic drainage.  A poor scar in this area would be extremely uncommon, as opposed to the chest because of differences in skin thickness.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD