Why Didn't my Doctor Tell Me to Wear a Compression Garment After Lipo?

Everyone on here was instructed to wear a compression garment after liposuction - why wasn't I instructed? This worries me... I had outer thighs and a little on lower stomach.

The Art of Medicine

+3

What you will find if you look long enough is that plastic surgeons do things differently. Your surgeon must not be a believer in compression garments. I do this with my patients as do many other surgeons. Your surgeon doesn't believe in it and probably has a reason. Why don't you ask him?

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Using compression garments after liposuction

+2

Compression garments will decrease the interval of swelling an bruising after liposuction.  The long term results, however, of wearing or not wearing compression garments is the same.  If you do not wear compression garments, use an Arnica and Bromelain kit to reduce swelling.  I advise my patients to use a Bruise-Stick / Bruise-Pak kit. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Compression garments after liposuction

+2

Compression garments after liposuction probably do not affect the final result.

So why do we use them? They can help decrease swelling, decrease bruising, and help with the funny nerve sensations you get when your nerves are returning to normal.  The other big reason I like them is they are a constant reminder of your recent surgery, so hopefully you will take it easy.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction do not help.

+2

Hi.

When doing liposuction in New York City, we hardly ever use compression garments. They do not improve the final result.  Based on a lot of experience.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Compression

+1
Every surgeon has different guidelines regarding compression garments. Some don't recommend them, and others do. If your surgeon didn't recommend wearing one, then please ask them why. They probably have a valid reason.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction and compression

+1

Are compression garments necessary after liposuction?  I am not sure.  There is no literature to support or refute the use. Some docs do not recommend it. I like to use them because I think it is more comfortable and intuitively it makes sense to me to compress the tissues together so seromas do not develop, but that is jsut speculation no outcome studies to support that notion.

Compression garment

+1

When doing liposuction wearing a tight compression garment is very important to reduce swelling and fluid retention. Normally I have my patients wear the garment for six weeks following their surgery date. This ensures a smoother and flatter result.

Jaime Perez, MD

The use of compression garments varies for many reasons.

+1

The use and duration of compression garments varies for many reasons.

1) the amount of liposuction

2) the area of liposuction

3) surgeon preference

4) patient circumstances

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Patients should always wary compression garments after liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a popular and effective way to contour the body. An extremely important factor in a great result is for the patient to wear a compression garments after liposuction. This allows the body to heal and can create a smooth results. Patients who do not use compression garments are at risk for asymmetry, lumpiness, and wrinkles in the area that have been treated.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Compression garments probably help after liposuction

+1

The region you had treated is fairly limited- perhaps your plastic surgeon thought the compression garment was more trouble than its worth, especially if you have youthful elastic skin and your treatment was not a high-volume procedure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS