What Options Are There For Nasolabial Folds in a Teenager?

I have nasolabial folds on either side of my nose that seemed to appear one day this week. They are not especially deep, but are definitely noticeable. I did some research and I would like to point out I do not smoke/drink, I'm well-hydrated and I spend very little time in the sun. I'm trying not to smile so much and am making an effort not to sleep on my side. They appear to be deepening. I feel I'm too young for this? I'm 17. Please help?

Nasolabial fold in a teenager

+2

I agree with Dr Bray. Everyone has a different facial structure and some people have these folds as kids but they are not making them look old as they are not always a sign of aging. Unfortunately the TV and media are causing everyone to overexamine themselves. If you have lost  alot of weight recently this might have caused a change or if you have very plump cheeks. Maybe you can send us a photo so we can better unerstand. At 17 you shoul dbe enjoying your youth. Use sunscreen to preserve it.

Birmingham Dermatologist

Naso labial folds

+2

If you simply look around you, you will see that everyone has folds. We are all different> You may have a heavier face than your friends but, my guess without pictures you are fine as is

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Premature Nasolabial Folds

+1

Nasolabial folds are natural and normal.  Even young children have them.  Unusually deep folds in a younger patient can result from less bone in the cheek area (hypoplastic maxilla).  This is less common but if it is the case in your situation I usually treat with fillers (temporary) or implants (permanent but removable).  Check in with a provider in your area who is comfortable with this evaluation.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon