Do the Nasal Tubes Help You Breath Through Your Nose After a Rhynoplasty.

Hello, My main concern is getting claustrophobic by not being able to breathe post op. I' ve read that some doctors to not use packing and use sow tiny nasal tubes that help you breathe through your nose during the recovery. Is this true? Thank you

Depends on your problem

+2

I do not pack a nose even if I do your septum. But regardless, you nose will clog up with blood, mucus and you will not be able to breathe through it. I have been doing noses for over 35  years and patients have all dealt with a clogged nose for a short while. What do you do when you get a bad cold? You breathe throught your mouth and stay alive.

Nasal Tubes to help breathe after Rhinoplasty

+1

Each surgeon has their own approach to rhinoplasty surgery. Many use temporary nasal cotton, tampons, gauze, or packing for the first night after surgery. These temporary nasal packs are removed the next day in the office. For claustrophobic or anxious patients, you surgeon may use nasal tubes to allow you to breathe during the initial recovery. Ask your rhinoplasty if possible not use any packs at all.

Regardless of packing or tubes, your nose will be congested for a period of time from routine mucous, secretions, blood, and swelling after rhinoplasty.  Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tubes after rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry you are unable to breathe through your nose now, but trust me you will once all the 'crusties' are cleaned out! Ask your surgeon to do that for you. Also a nasal spray helps to keep the swelling down and keep the crusties from getting hard and difficult to remove.

Be patient, all this will resolve!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tubes

+1

Both are true and will help with the anxiety of being blocked after surgery. Discuss with your doctor what his or her routine is after rhinoplasty. I prefer to not pack any of my noses.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing

+1

Yes. Some of us use only a small amount of packing with or without breathing tubes. In any case  I remove all packs the very next day. Most patients do quite well when the situation is explained. You will be uncomfortable but always able to breath so, relax.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD