Nostil Flaring After Rhinoplasty

Hello I had septorhinoplasty 10 days ago. I can't seem to help but flare my nostrils. I also sometimes wake from sleep wrinkling my nose. I know smiling and eating is fine. But will flaring and wrinkling your nose, cause any damage in shifting cartilage or bone?! Thanks for any help

Facial movement cannot easily affect nose shape

+1

Thank you for the question.  Facial movement is inevitable and cannot really affect nose shape or cartilage position.  With that in mind I would try and minimize repetitive movements if you can just to make sure and to make you feel more at ease about your recovery.  

Dr. Remus Repta

Flaring nostrils after rhinoplasty is ok

+1

Assuming you did not have any incisions on the sides of your nostrils ( to reduce the width of the nostril base) then such normal movement of the nose is fine. 

Philip Miller, MD

Nostril flaring after rhinoplasty

+1

Depending on the rhinoplasty performed, it is more likely that the small muscles at the base of the nose are temporarily paralyzed causing an inability to "flare" the nostrils. Again depending on the rhinoplasty performed, it is very likely that the nasal tip if contoured will lose some projection causing the base of the nose to settle creating nostril flaring. This especially true if the nose was reduced in size. If this is the case, the nostrils will change very little after 10 days and if the flaring is a cosmetic problem, a simple office procedure to narrow the nostrils is indicated.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Nose Surgery

+1

I agree with the other comment, flaring your nostrils is highly unlikely to shift the cartilage or cause permanent "damage" to your final result.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Moving nose 10 days after Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and the notion that moving the nose (flaring nostrils), smiling, laughing etc. will damage the nose in the early post Rhinoplasty stage is an urban myth IMHO.  The nose should not be that unstable and delicate after a Rhinoplasty.  You should avoid having the nose bumped, hit, knocked as well as strenuous activity that might cause cauterized vessels to open up and bleed but other than that, relax it won't break.  Of course, always follow the instructions of your Rhinoplasty surgeon.