Nasal Bump/misaligned Nostrils? (photo)

Since my nasal bump only shows up on one side, I thought I might have a deviated septum (I do get sinus infections frequently). Also, why is one of my nostrils being higher than the other apparent when I look straight on, but not from a direct perspective? Are they shaped differently in a way that's hard to tell when you're looking right at them?

Nasal bump and asymmetry

+2

The pictures show asymmetrical nasal bones, a concave right upper lateral cartilage and probable deviated septum.  A septo-rhinoplasty can address all of these issues and make the nose look a lot more symmetrical and breathe better as well.  For sinus related problems, a CT scan would be needed to see the source  of the sinus infections. The deviated septum causes airflow restriction, not infections.

Deviated nasal septum caudal dislocation dorsal hump

+1

A deviated nasal septum can be accompanied by a dislocation of the caudal septum which is the portion of the nasal septum between the nostrils.  This will occasionally distort the level of the nostrils.  The thumb appears larger on one side than the other because of the deviation and the fact that when you view your nose it is at an oblique angle rather than a true profile.  All of these concerns can be improved with a septorhinoplasty, including the nasal airway and recurrent sinusitis.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon