Pinched Tip or Just Swelling? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty about 6 weeks ago and I know my nose is really swollen still but I'm scared that my nose is starting to look pinched as the swelling comes down. I'm not sure if its because the tip is still really swollen that makes it look like that or if it because my doctor took too much cartilage off. Will this pinched look get better as it the swelling comes down? Also I think one side is more pinch than the other.

6 Weeks after Open Rhinoplasty and Tip Concerns

+2

6 Weeks is too early to make judgements about the tip after open rhinoplasty.  The tip is usually the last area to resolve.  There is usually a component of asymmetric swelling as well.  Wait at least 6 months to 1 year before making any assessments about the nature of the tip.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pinched Tip or Just Swelling?

+1

Best to return to your surgeon to discuss in more detail. You had what appears as an open rhinoplasty. The tip healing/swelling can take monthssss to decrease. this should have been understood in your pre operative informed consent. So at 6 weeks very very very early in healing phase to advise to FINAL result. 

Nasal appearance 6 wks post rhino

+1

At six weeks following your rhinoplasty it difficult to say anything with a significant degree of confidence.

However with that said I can make a few observations

It appears as if your lat cura are medial oriented and convex -this may leave you with a fuller tip and with "parentheses" appearance even after the swelling is down

Also your infra tip lobule is long relative to the nostril length. the infatip on worms eye view should be 1/3 of the total distance from the tip to the lip. and the other 2/3 should be nostril.

in your case it is half and half

This ration may improve a little once swelling abates but I doubt as if it will reach the ideal proportions.

Dealing with this at the time of a primary (or secondary) rhinoplasty is relatively easy. It requires trimming a little of the soft tissue triangle lining so that when the over lying skin is closed to it wraps under thus lengthening the nostril and shortening the infra tip. - described by guyuron, I believe. Either way - in my practice this is required about 15% of the time

Never the less - too early to tell, check back with us in 6 wks a min, but preferably in one yr

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Pinched tip or just swelling?

+1

6 weeks is still soon after your surgery, and it is too soon to judge the result. In general, the final result of your procedure is not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. I would recommend waiting a bit and seeing how you heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have in the meantime. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Pinched tip?

+1

The tip is definitely swollen and it may give the appearance of that because the central region is most swollen. Give it time to heal.