My Temp Crown Broke for the Third Time, What Should I Do?

My temp crown broke for the third time today, I'm going in in two weeks for the permanent crown to be put in. I'm in no pain at the moment, does it make sense to wait for the permanent? Or should I keep going in to get it repaired?

Should I Have A Temporary Crown Remade or Just Wait for My Permanent Crown to Be Placed?

+1

It's best to have your crown remade.  If not, you gums could overgrow the margins of the crown preparation and/or your teeth on that side could move, changing your bite.

The big question is "why" is it breaking so frequently?  Are you a bruxer or clencher?  Are you biting hard food on the plastic temporary crown.  In addition to placing the permanent crown, your dentist should look carefully at your bite (occlusion) and any harmful dental habits you might have (clenching or grinding of your teeth).  He may recommend a "night guard" appliance to help protect your teeth, jaw joints and muscles from some of the damaging effects that can occur from those habits.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Broken temporary crown

+1

The prepared tooth waiting for a final crown always should be covered by a temporary restoration. Otherwise it can cause inflammation due to penetration of bacteria into dentin, especially after crown cementation, fracture of the remaining tooth structure, overgrowth of the gum, that can make the final cementation problematic, or trauma to soft tissue like cheeks and tongue. So, the best option will be to repair the temporary crown and protect the tooth.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Broken Temporary Crown

+1

If you have already had to go back to your dentist to have the temporary crown repaired twice, it seems to indicate that your dentist cares enough about your tooth and finds it important to see you in this event.  If you haven't already, call your dentist immediately! Ask if they can move up your appointment for the permanent crown to avoid further mishaps with your temporary crown.  Good luck!

Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Temp crown off for the 3rd time, what should I do

+1

I disagree with the other dentists.  In my mind regardless of whether the tooth is sensitive or not I would definitely want my patient to have it recemented in so as to prevent the prepared tooth from shifting and making the permanent crown more difficult to insert.  Call your dentist and see what they say

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Crowns

+1

Generally if the tooth is not sensitive and not an esthetic concern, it doesn't matter, however if you call your dentist and let them know, usually if the final crown comes back from the lab sooner they will see you sooner than your scheduled appointment.  If the tooth is sensitive then it's an issue and you need to have it replaced right away or even with the final crown the tooth will be sensitive for some time.

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Keeps Breaking

+1

If you are not feeling any discomfort, you may be able to go without the temporary until your seating appointment for the final crown.  I would call the dental office to see if they are concerned that the tooth may shift or possibly they could move up your appointment to an earlier date since the temporary has been a hassle for you.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist