How Much of my Stretch Marks Will Be Removed with a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm skinny, with some extra skin from 2 pregnancy. The extra skin does not bother me as much as all the stretch marks. I have them mostly on my hips, and some under my belly button. The stretch marks on my hips are the most noticeable, so I would love to get rid of those at least. I'm 5'4 and 110 pounds, under 25 years old. I was hoping to get rid of most stretch marks and extra skin with a tummy tuck but would like to get some advice first.

A tummy tuck will eliminate some stretch marks below the belly button

+2

Although there isn’t a specific procedure for stretch mark removal, some stretch marks can be eliminated with procedures that involve skin removal like tummy tuck and body lift procedures (breast lift, arm lift, thigh lift, etc.). During tummy tuck surgery, excess abdominal skin is removed and in some instances if needed, the remaining skin and underlying muscles are tightened. Stretch marks below the belly button can be eliminated through tummy tuck surgery. However, tummy tuck surgery will not eliminate stretch marks on your hips. If you have excess hanging skin on your hips/thighs, some of the bothersome stretch marks on your thighs could be eliminated with thigh lift surgery. If the stretch marks are red of pink in color, your physician may be able to reduce the pigmentation to make the stretch marks less visible. It is important to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and help you determine which procedure(s) could help you best accomplish your goals.

Stretchmark removal on hips

+1
A tummy tuck can certainly remove stretch marks but it can only target those that are located below the belly button. It may minimize the appearance of others, like those on your hips, although they won't be completely removed unfortunately.

You may want to consider a nonsurgical treatment instead for those on your hips. Microneedling and laser-based treatments have helped our patients. Results may take longer and can be unpredictable. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

1540 Laser Better Than Tummy Tuck For Hip Stretch Marks

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. You are very thin and fit and do not have a lot of loose skin.

Because you have so little excess skin a tummy tuck will not remove most of your stretch marks as only a mini could be done.

Since the stretch marks that bother you are the ones on your hip, and these cannot be removed with a tummy tuck, Laser treatments with the 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser is a better option for you in my opinion.

Nothing can remove stretch marks entirely other than surgical excision in the course of a tummy tuck. However the 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser is the only laser I have seen can actually improve the appearance of stretch marks.

You will need 4-5 treatment scheduled a month apart, and eventually the laser treatments will reduce the with of the stretch marks, make them smaller, and lighten the color to white. Please see the link below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Stretch marks...

+1

the good news is that most of the stretch marks are below the belly-button. That means that most of them can be removed with full tummy-tuck.

best wishes,

Michael

Michael Salzhauer, MD

How to know how much/many of the stretch marks will be removed

+1

Thank you for the photos that accompany your post.  Your positioning, with the arms up over your head, distorts how much loose/extra skin you might have, so it is a little uncertain as to how much skin will need to be removed.  In general, only the stretch marks that are actually cut out go away.  I know that sounds obvious, but it is not always clear to patients.  The central part of the abdomen, possibly all of the skin between the bellybutton and the pubic hair region is where most of the skin will be removed.  Therefore, the largest reduction in stretch marks will be in that region.  Unfortunately, the stretch marks are fairly extensive out at the lateral abdomen and hips.  Unless your skin is super loose, the majority of those will probably remain.  As usual, and in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be your best option with regard to trying to figure that out.  By the way, it looks like you might have a small bellybutton hernia, but that can be fixed at the time of abdominoplasty.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Your plastic surgeon will be able to mark the area of your abdomen that will be removed during your tummy tuck

+1

In general stretch marks below the belly button are included in the area that is removed during a full tummy tuck.  Stretch marks on the hips, depending on where they are, may not fall within the tummy tuck resection.  Have your plastic surgeon mark out the area to be removed during your tummy tuck should you choose to undergo the procedure.  This will be the best way to know which stretch marks will be removed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Stretch Mark Removal From Tummy Tuck

+1

The stretch marks that will be removed is what lies within the outline of the tummy tuck excisional pattern. Your surgeon can mark that out for you so you can see exactly what stretch marks will be removed. Stretch marks around the excisional pattern, particularly above the belly button, will shift position to a lower location below the new belly button for many of them.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Stretch marks below the umbilicus will be removed by a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tuck will remove most of the stretch marks below the umbilicus so, if your are on your hips and under the belly button, abdominoplasty will significantly alleviate your concerns.  It will not benefit stretch marks above the umbilicus to the same extent. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  GIven your weight, you are an excellent surgical candidate.

Robert L. Kraft, MD