Can my Repaired Umbilical Hernia and Diastasis Recti Cause Me Pain?

i am 27 years old and i have a umbilical hernia that has been repaired with a mesh and i also have a 3 finger diastasis recti. I am in pain all the time my pelvis hurts all the time my abdomen hurts all the time i find that i can hardly do my daily routine as far as house cleaning,kids,sexual intimacy anything my lower back hurts all the time i have had constant uti's and i have never had one till i got this problem!!!! I think that these two things ae causing me major problems

Mesh Repair of Umbilical Hernia and Pain?

+1

You could, if you wanted, get the mesh removed, and get direct closure of the defect with plication of your diastasis.  Another option, if the hernia is larger, is to perform a components separation technique.

Pain

+1

Your story is similar to many others that I have treated who have had umbilical hernis treated with a large plug and had no treatment for their diastasis. Your diastasis may actually be a true epigastric hernia. Removal of the mesh and autogenous repair is best.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Pain with rectus diastasis after umbilical hernia repair

+1

I have had two patients that had their umbilical hernias repaired and NOT their rectus diastasis that had this type of pain. Since the rectus diastasis is really just thinned out and abnormal, it provides poor support for the hernia repair and the abdominal wall as a whole. You can try core strengthening (pilates like moves) which can help, never relax your abdominal musculature or hold yourself in a slouched position, and do not work out your abs via sit ups as this will make it worse. Consider repairing your rectus diastasis - 3 fingers is impressive. Expect a slow recovery and expect to need some physical therapy for core strengthening 6 weeks afterward for full improvement.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Umbilical Hernia, Diastasis Recti Causing Problems?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the various symptoms you are experiencing. Although the area of umbilical hernia repair can be associated with discomfort, I do not think that most of the symptoms that you are describing can be  linked to the umbilical hernia or diastasis.

You will be best off seeking medical attention with your primary care physician or internist.

+1

It is hard to blame any of the symptoms you describe on  diastasis recti, which is almost always without symptoms. Your best bet is to see your primary physician for an evaluation of the causes of these issues that you have. Thanks, and best wishes;

Pain after surgery

+1

Thank you  for the information.   What you have forgotten to mention is when you had the surgery done.  Keep in touch with your surgeon and let him/her know the complications you are currently experiencing.

best of luck to you