My IPL Treatment for Freckles Worked Slightly, Should I Continue Treatment?

hi i went for ipl treatment i have a very pale face with creamy like freckles(brown) and lots of them.i went for treatment , after my doctor gave me ice packs i was suprised as i didnt need them , some freckles got darker but i feel it was not worth the results. my face felt normal 10 min after . she did say it might not work on all people. im thinking she could have put it a lot higher, if my face did respond to low settings will higher settings have better results ?

IPl and freckles

+2

Freckles are extremely hard to treat with IPL, but it does help. It will not remove all of your freckles, as IPL is for more surface layers and some of your freckles will actually be at deeper layers than IPL can penetrate. At your first treatment your technician should always start with a lower setting. While this treatment should be helpful and you should see results, you should begin to see more results after treatments 2 and 3, and so on. Technicians should not go to the highest settings at a first treatment, because how you do after the treatment also needs to be considered. The first treatment should be helpful, but conservative. I would recommend you continue, but also be realistic that all of your freckles won't be gone.

Several treatments with IPL may be necessary to remove freckles.

+1

Up to 6 treatments with IPL may be necessary to remove freckles. Many of my patients prefer a medium depth chemical peel which can do the trick in one treatment, although several days away from the public are needed for the skin to heal.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

How Many IPL Treatments are Optimal

+1

IPL treatments can provide significant improvement in facial hyperpigmentation and overall color. About 3-5 treatments spaced about one month apart will give you the maximal effect. However, effects of the treatment do wear off over time, especially if you receive much exposure to sunlight. For most of my patients, 2-3 treatments intitially followed by 1 treatment every 3-6 months maintains excellent color and texture.

People with darker colored skin should consider other treatments, such as Q switched lasers to remove freckles and red spots. Newer pulsed IPL treatments is making these treatments available to more ethnic types. Since your skin color is lighter, higher energy settings on the IPL machine may help with those stubborn dark spots.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

IPL Treatments

+1

IPL treatments typically need 3 to 5 treatments to get optimal results.  Since it was your first treatment the provider was probably giving you a conservative treatment to see the reaction of your skin to the IPL.  This is to gauge or future treatments.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

IPL Treatments

+1

IPL as well as true lasers work best when your pigmented areas are darker rather than lighter.  It is also possible that the person who did your treatment used a low energy level so you may benefit from trying again at a higher energy level.  As you know, not every machine works in the same way for every patient.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist