How Can I Keep my Implants from Dropping? (photo)

I had my breast augmentation (400cc round smooth silicone implants -under the muscle) completed two weeks ago. I had a lot of lost volume prior to the surgery due to breastfeeding one child. I have a very long torso, with a shorter waist and longer chest, so my breasts sit naturally lower than most women. I am now two weeks post-op, and I don't want my implants to drop any further, but my PS says this is inevitable. Is there anything I can do to slow or stop the dropping process?

Controlling Implant Position

+3

With a longer chest/torso, it is likely that the implants will continue to drop, and drop below where you prefer. This isn't a result of bad surgery, just your anatomy. What stops the implant from dropping, is the intact breast crease. This cannot be significantly changed. Wearing a good support bra and occasionally an underwire bra can help to maintain the position of the implants, but it wont keep them above where your anatomy dictates. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Implants Dropping

+1

You can't prevent your breast from dropping, but you can slow the process. Wear an elastic bra all the time or nearly all the time including when you go to bed, maintain a constant weight, stay healthy and don't get too much sun on your breasts.

Stopping implants from dropping

+1

You will see continued softening (dropping) of the implants for the next 2-3 months and there really is not anything to do to prevent it. The inframammary fold (IMF) will stop the descent if it has not been violated. The only way to have a higher appearing breast is to surgically create a higher IMF with suturing techniques. In your case, the descent of your implants will actually be of some benefit in that it will make your nipples and areolae appear higher. My guess is that you will like the appearance of your results in about 2-3 months. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants Will Drop to Rest

+1

Dear Julyamberpie,

Unfortunately, nature will take its course and gravity will have its effect on the implants.

Even if you were to wear a support garment the dropping will have to take place eventually and the implants will settle in the pocket that is has been created.

So the degree of dropping will be determined by:

1. How good the pocket was created during the surgery.

2. The absence of tissue violation during the surgery.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Preventing implants from dropping

+1

The only way I know of preventing implants from dropping is by standing on your head, being in zero gravity, or not having implants.  All the opposite impact the descent.  Sorry :-(

Implant position after augmentation

+1

Hi, your implants are still settling down and they will not stop until they hit the mammary fold which is your natural anatomical landmark. wearing the support garment might help but eventually gravity will put them where anatomically they can rest at the crease. this obviously assumes that the pocket was created correctly and that the fold was not violated.

Web reference: http://www.hallakplasticsurgery.com/breastaugmentation.html

Stop a dropping breast implant

+1

If the pocket is formed well the implant actually will not drop or bottom out. The implant is or should be centered in the breast under the nipple as the point of projection, hand in glove. Some implants will 'drop' or settle in as necessary depending on the skin tighness in the lower pole of the breast. You implant should stay put, however you might wish to get into a snug underwire to hold and set the fold for the first several weeks.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Breast Augmentation and Dropping

+1

Looking at your photo, you would benefit from some settling of your implants. (Granted, your self taken photo does not depict your breasts as a properly taken photo - hands at your side, 6 to 8 feet away from subject, and taken at the level of the breasts.)  Regardless, implant settling is inevitable and isn't usually what most people think, that the implants glid downward on the chest wall. Usually, settling is an expansion of the lower pole of the breast allowing the implant to project maximally in the lower pole.  This does mean there will be some deflation of the upper pole, but not a change in position of the upper edge of the implant. 

I think you will be fine!

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Wearing a bra after breast augmentation

+1

Each surgeon has their own practice, but over the last 3 years, having done this surgery for 25 years, I ask my patients to wear a specific underwire bra with no pushup element that I custom fit to them to be worn 24/7 for 3 months and to avoid any activities (heavy pec exercise and running) that could displace the implants.  I have seen that the implants don't drop at all below the crease incision by doing this.

Most breast implants won't droop even without a bra.

+1

Around each implant a capsule forms that acts like a 24 hour bra.  Most implants therefore don't droop even without external support.  However, this is not 100% so the occasional patient will experience stretching of the capsule and loss of position.  Probably better to wear a bra particularly when exercising.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm