Why Does my Implant Feel Stuck?

My right breast developed fluid after 1 month, since then my breast is displaced; firm & sensitive to touch. My PS drained the fluid. The day after the breast returned to its normal state: the next day the breast gravitated upward, felt firm again and sensitive to the touch. It's been one month since, and although, the implant gets soft after an aggressive massage, it immediately gets firm, and it feels stuck to the bottom and very difficult to push upwards. Am I ready for a revision?

Significant asymmetry at a month postop may be fluid and not contracture

+1

One would not expect capsular contracture to come and go.  With the history you gave of immediate improvement after drainage with recurrence after 2 days, this is fluid around the implant until proven otherwise.  You don't need a revision.....you need an exploration.  Perhaps a mammogram or ultrasound could be done before committing to that exploration.  Unfortunately the fact that it becomes very painful when it firms up is more indicative of an infection around the implant.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Why does my Implant feel stuck?

+1

The essense of a breast augmentation is to create an adequate pocket size for sub-muscular and sub-glandular implant placement. The pocket should be approximately 20% larger than the base diameter of the implant. If immediately  after surgery fluid develops it may be a capsular contracture. It is still too early to tell, give it time to resolve. If it does not after 6-8 months the pocket may need to be opened again.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Stuck implants?

+1

Your description is pretty unusual in my experience.  If you are frequently re-accumulating fluid, and your breast is not freely mobile while the opposite side is normal, it is possible that you may be one of the few candidates for an early revision.  

You plastic surgeon will likely want to follow your progress for a few months following your surgery to assess improvement or worsening of your situation, but at 3-6 months, with no improvement, I would think an exploration and likely revision would be in order.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Possible Capsular Contracture

+1

An exam is the best way to make an accurate assessment to determine your condition although it sounds like you could be experiencing a capsular contracture.  Make an appointment to see your surgeon.  Then you will have the time you need for an exam so he can rule out infection and go over your concerns and options.   1 month is too soon for a revision.  Best of luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

+1

I think it is important to know if you have textured or smooth implants. Textured implants will be stuck a bit and not move as easlity as smooth.  If they are smooth, then you may be developing a capsular contracture.

Capsular Contracture

+1

It sounds like you have a capsular contracture. I would recommend continued massage.  There is a medication such as Accolate that can be used for this isssue.  I would at least wait 3 months after surgery to determine if you need any type of surgery.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Please send pictures

+1

It is unusual to develop fluid after surgery.Please send picture for better assessment. You may have capsular contracture, hematoma or infection.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant stuck

+1

To give useful suggestions here, a photo is necessary to know where to begin, and even that is not as helpful as an in person exam by your surgeon.

Absent an infection of intractable fluid collection, one month is way to early to consider revision. Most issues self correct as the implants settle in to place. Think more like 6 months, but do follow up regularly with your surgeon. All the best. 

Implant Stuck - Revision after 1 Month?

+1

Pictures would be instructive in your case.  There is not a great way to answer about the relative position of the implant without a visual assessment.  I would not recommend a revision at one month.