Is my Nipple Tissue Dying After my Breast Lift /silicone Implants? (photo)

Im 19 and I had an anchor lift and silicone plants on Tuesday ( it is now the following Monday) The day after surgery they looked good but then started turning almost black on the outside of them. I went back to the doctor today and he was shocked and I was the first person he's had that happen with. He took off the tape and peeled off the blackish layer of dead skin and them pushed puss out ( I know gross). He gave me cream but it looks even worse. I don't know what to do. Freaking out.

Nipple Dying After Breast Lift Plus Implants

+5

Thank you for your question. It is important that you see your surgeon.

The small Black Areas on the Right Areola may slough-that i the overlying skin cells may die.

However from the photos most of the Nipple Areola appears viable from the photo-I would need to examine you in person to decide.

Long term I believe, from the photos, that you will be fine. There may be some pink scarring in the areas that are black now.

It is important to see your surgeon for wound care. It is essential to make certain that the black areas do not become infected-if they do the implants could be threatened.

Breast Enhancement

+2
I agree there is some superficial loss to the areola, luckily these typically heal very well. It is important to be seen to make sure you dont have a hematoma that needs to be drained

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Nipple issue

+1

It looks like form your photos that the nipple has some superficial loss on the areola border.  It is important that you follow closely with your surgeon.

Is my Nipple Tissue Dying

+1

Although this look frightening, it is almost certainly not as bad as it looks. Ti does look like you have one small area of tissue loss, but the rest of the areolar and nipple tissue looks OK. Keeping the healing environment moist is important, and it sounds like the cream is for that purpose. If indeed the substance expressed was pus, hopefully it was cultured and antibiotics considered. Sometimes nitroglycerine can be used to improve the blood flow to portions of skin that are threatened. 

Follow up regularly. If your surgeon seems uncomfortable about what to do, ask him to arrange a second opinion for advice. 

Chances are that once this is healed, it will look as if none of these issues have occurred. Thanks, best wishes. 

This nipple looks like it is probably going to make it.

+1

The nipple and areola is obviously suffering after breast augmentation and mastopexy. The marginal blood supply has led to compromise of the structure. It appears though that there is enough remaining blood supply for full recovery. Keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon.

You will be OK

+1

While I am certain that this looks very worrisome to you and even to your surgeon, but you will be OK.  These problems are not terribly uncommon, so I imagine your doctor knows how to deal with this.  With an implant in place, there is always concern about potential "seeding" of the implant pocket which can be quite an issue.  But diligent, thoughtful and conservative care will usually lead to healing without intervention.  So do what your doctor says, keep it clean and dry and you will be OK. 

K. Dwayne Fulks, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Dying nipple?

+1

There is an old saying that things are always darkest just before the dawn.  In your case, the nipples look dark and discolored but they may well recover and do just fine.  At this point there is not a lot that can be done other than conservative treatment.  When everything heals then you can re-assess the situation.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Nipple/Areola Necrosis after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures; I'm sorry to hear about the stressful experience after breast  augmentation/lifting surgery. Although I cannot provide you with precise clinical advice, based on the photographs and time sequence I think that you will do well long-term. Although there may be some blood flow or return (venous congestion) issues present,  I think that your nipple/areola complexes are viable and again, you should do well in the long term.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you precisely.

Breast Lift and Implants with Concerns of NAC Necrosis

+1

The pictures are not particularly telling and if necrosis was present on exam then it is probably superficial.  If the NACs looked good the first day that is also a good indicator that blood flow was not severely compromised.  Please do not smoke as this severely compromises circulation.  I would not freak out at this time, and be sure you follow up with your surgeon. 

Nipple Dying After Lift?

+1

Hi Aggie, thanks for your question/pictures. 

While you surgeon is the best person to see for this problem as he is seeing you in person and knows what happened, the area in question does not look too bad.  This area will probably recover over time, it just may take longer.  Have patience and follow your surgeon's advice. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon